superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-Star Supes #5  (Read 21816 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« on: August 30, 2006, 10:36:38 PM »

Decent read, but not as strong as the last issue. I'm still not too fond of the art.

Brief summary: Lex is sentenced to death and is sent to Stryker's. Clark shows up to interview Lex. The Parasite siphons some energy from Clark, causes a prison riot, bloats to enormous levels, and appears to be killed off when Clark uses the old earthquake trick to cause a wall to fall on him. Luthor monologues throughout the issue and finally sends Clark on his way through his escape hatch.

Issue quirks: Luthor keeps a chimp in a Superman costume for a pet, builds a robot that is a roving library (as well as a sonic drill), and draws his eyebrows.

I give the issue a C-.
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »

I'd rate it MUCH higher---I thought it was a fascinating look at the Silver AGe Luthor's arrogance, his resentment for Superman and his hate.  It reminded me of the story that introduced Luthor's Lair. I also enjoyed seeing Nasty again.

I also think Quiteley does one of the best Clark Kents I've ever seen, believably different from Superman in physique, mannerisms, etc.

---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »

Quote from: "alschroeder"
I'd rate it MUCH higher---I thought it was a fascinating look at the Silver AGe Luthor's arrogance, his resentment for Superman and his hate.  It reminded me of the story that introduced Luthor's Lair. I also enjoyed seeing Nasty again.

I also think Quiteley does one of the best Clark Kents I've ever seen, believably different from Superman in physique, mannerisms, etc.

---Al

Where did Nas appear before?

#5 was an excellent portrayal of the Luthor, Kent, and Superman dynamic. Luthor is so blinded by his hatred of Superman, he doesn't notice Superman is standing right in front of him! Another note, even though Superman was "killed" by Lex, Clark Kent still cares for Luthor a great deal. This reminds me of Morrison's JLA take of the Luthor/Superman relationship. No matter how bad the person, Superman still believes there is some good inside.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite issue of DC in along time.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:25:08 PM »

The only real "complaint" I have is that Luthor's prison seems quite ludicrous, but that's true of most Luthor prisons in the comics and movies.  I really liked the depiction Maggin gave in one of his novels, with his pad and pen that he dare note escape with, but my sense is that works better in the novels than it would visually.

Quitely's "big unstylish oaf" Clark comes closer and closer to my build with each issue.  I'm still not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:50:43 AM »

I'm surprised there isn't more excitement about the latest issue here, considering how much everyone enjoyed the series when it started.

I had some serious reservations about ALL-STAR at its debut, but I have enjoyed each new issue more than the first. I can't wait for the next one! Morrison seems to be downplaying the stuff I disliked about his version and hitting more and more of the right notes. Quitely's artistic approach is also growing on me.

The Gospel According to Lex Luthor was my favorite issue so far. I consider it possibly the ultimate Luthor story. It was as if Morrison put every previous version of Luthor into a blender and only the good stuff was left.

Morrison's tales at their best encourage the reader to see so many interpretations. All the underpinnings of classical mythology, theology, literature, pop psychology and obscure Silver Age comic references are there to be explored but best of all these mostly self-contained tales can simply be enjoyed as good old-fashioned entertainment.

If you had to read one Superman story this year I would say go with this one... even though Superman doesn't even appear in costume anywhere in it.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »

The only caveat I had was that the cover depicted what appeared to be "Clark Kent- Lex Luthor CELLMATES"

love the whole mythos - LL rules Strikers, the King of Hell as Kent is ferrying over the River Styx.

I wonder if the Parasite drained off Supe's excess powers, thus saving him.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »

I was a bit cheesed off that it wasn't a reworking of one of my favourite Superboy stories of all time, but nevertheless I enjoyed this a lot; I especially like the fact that Clark looks fat and dumpy rather than the skinny weakling people always assume he must be; it makes sense that Clark should be a bit podgy given that he has the same bulk as Superman.

Another thing I liked, a bit oddly, was Clark holding onto Lex's eyebrow pencil; it was a bit like the sugar cubes in The Watchmen.

I still think those sun-eating creatures we saw in the Fortress of Solitude issue hold the key to Superman's cure, but maybe exposure to the Parasite sort of helps him along?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 03:14:09 AM »

I enjoyed it a lot; I personally think this is Quitely's strongest art of all the All-Star Superman issues; particularly Clark's movements and two panel layouts (prison stairs and fall of Parasite).  The story was good too.

In other news, here's the cover to #7 of All-Star Superman:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L