superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 1  (Read 21892 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 31, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »

has been released this week, so you can use this thread to post your thoughts about this book.

DC's write up:

Written by Bill Finger, Ed "France" Herron, Gardner Fox and John Broome; Art by Bob Kane, Carmine Infantino, Joe Giella, Sheldon Moldoff and others; Cover by Kane

The spotlight's on Batman in this volume featuring Detective Comics #327-342 and Batman #164-174! The Dynamic Duo take on some of their most enduring Rogues Gallery members, including Penguin, the Riddler, and the Outsider in these classic Silver Age stories from the era of famed editor Julius Schwartz!

DC Universe  |  552pg.  |  B&W  |  Softcover  |  $16.99 US  |  ISBN 1401210864

On Sale August 30, 2006

Cover art:

http://www.dccomic.com/media/covers/5709_400x600.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:47:48 AM »

and the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401210864/theamalgamatronA/

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »

I'll have to get me a copy!
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »

I haven't read my copy yet but I look forward to it.  Seems like an interesting era for Batmam even if the art looks a little...off.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:03:33 PM »

This is one of the few Showcase volumes that doesn't interest me much.  I checked out the "Dynamic Duo Archives Vol 1" from my local library and was very glad I didn't spend money on it.  (This Showcase includes the contents of that Archive, plus Vol 2 and more).

Anyone who complains Silver Age Superman was "juvenile" or "silly" should be forced to read this period of Batman, which is about as mindless as it gets (I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing "the Outsider" storyline reprinted again).  On the upside, there is the occasional Carmine Infantino art, but it turns out to be a lot more occasional than I remembered. 

Soon after came the TV show and a concerted effort to be silly, instead of the unintentional silliness in these stories.  So I'm not really looking forward to Volume 2, either.

The Silver Age was not a great time for Batman, in my opinion.

This looks like a job for...
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:14:01 PM »

The Silver Age was not a great time for Batman, in my opinion.

Not really, no.  There were some interesting plots here and there and the aforementioned Infantino art but frankly things didn't start cooking until the Denny O'Neil/Frank Robbins/Neal Adams stuff started up.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »

The only good Silver Age Batman book was The World's Finest! Now that needs a Showcase edition badly!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

Actually, Brave and the Bold had its moments, though it really didn't start cooking big time until the Bronze Age.

At any rate, the Batman B&B Showcase is on tap for early '07 and I'll be saving my sheckles for that one.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L