superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirk Alyn Serials in November  (Read 9424 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:26:16 PM »

These were available on VHS back in 1988 to celebrate Superman's 50th.  As recently as last year, I found the first serial in a bargain bin at Toys R Us (!) for 4 bucks.

Kirk Alyn is a really fun Superman.  He has this sense of childlike exuberance that really fits my notion of the Seigel and Shuster model. It's like he's thinking "Whee, look at me, I've got super powers!"

On the other hand, whenever he wants to look "tough and no-nonsense," he sets his jaw and puffs out his chest and looks for all the world like Jay Leno doing his mock-angry face.  Also that bit where his voice drops a couple octaves during "This looks like a job for...Superman" worked cool on radio but it just looks silly here.

One fun bit occurs when Superman is consulting with officials at the Pentagon and says, "I must be going, gentlemen," and heads toward the window. "But Superman," says one official, "The door is over there." With a big grin, Superman answers, "Yes, I know.  Up, up and away!!!!"  out the window.  I had that as the "Exit Windows" sound file on my PC for years.  :lol:

Anyway these are definitely worth having.  Not on a par, quality-wise, with the likes of Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher, but miles better than those laughable Batman serials.  

Now if I could just find the serials of Kirk as Blackhawk...

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:04:59 PM »

They're out there 'wing.  Just gotta look hard and make sure youre not getting a soft dub
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:58 AM »

Hot dog! I just finished watching this serial. A friend of mine lent me an old vhs copy off AMC converted to DVD, so I am definitely buying a clean DVD copy.  Cheesy

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 03:30:23 PM »

Actually, Nightwing, they were available BEFORE 1988 on VHS.  They came out in 1986, for the price of $100.00 EACH!  I NEVER thought I'd be able to own either one, until I saw them both at a Suncoast Video Store around 1996 or so for about $20.00 each (I bought several episodes of the George Reeves TV show at the same time).  

A few weeks ago, I looked up these serials on Amazon.com, just for fun.  The FIRST one was going for $60.00, and the second for $50.00!  Both have more sellers now, and a recent check showed 'em at $44.44 and $33.33, respectively!  BIG bargains!  :lol:  

Hey, didn't we have this same conversation a few months ago?  Smiley

davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »

I have both of the serials on VHS... DVD will be a welcome and needed change!

They were done REALLY well and pretty faithful to the comics of the time.. even though Superman DOES become a cartoon when he files it's okay (kind of funny when Kirk Alyn runs behind a big rock and from the other side comes a cartoon Superman bigger than the actor).  The cartoon flying actually works since it gives flying Superman a gracefulness that he hasn't had til Superman Returns.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 09:56:22 PM »

Quote from: "davidelliott"
They were done REALLY well and pretty faithful to the comics of the time.. even though Superman DOES become a cartoon when he files it's okay

I'm always puzzled that people feel compelled to mention this.  It's the exact same thing as The Hulk, Superman, Spiderman, or Obi-Wan Kenobi turning into CGI characters whenever they fly through the air.

The cartoon FX probably looked just as realistic (or as fake) to the audience of the 1940s as CGI FX look today.  Maybe even better.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »

Yeah, but like I said it kind of works... I was thinking the CGI thing too.

The serials were really good, but the flying compared to "The Adventures Of Captain Marvel" done years earlier looks like a set back, but again made Superman look more graceful.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 12:29:45 AM »

I lent a friend my VHS copies of the serial, and he was amazed at how good they are.  He contends that they are among the best serials he's ever seen, and he's seen a LOT.  Wink  

The flying is sort of jarring at first, but one gets used to it VERY quickly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L