superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirk Alyn Serials in November  (Read 9420 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 05:48:51 AM »

I started watching the Atom Man serial again today, while folding laundry and got through the first 3 or 4 chapters.  The flying parts were kind of ahead of their time... since CGI wasn't around back then, I consider the animation a forerunner to that.  It looks like the producers were kind of meticulous in makeing sure they matched up the live action actors with their "cartoon" counterparts when the switch to and from animation would be used.

I also noted that Lyle Talbot looked exactly like the Luthor of the comics for that time... and he was probably the best rendition of Luthor on the screen, in my opinion, ever.  Evil genius, inventor, etc... Kirk Alyn, as someone posted, looked like he was having fun AND was heroic as well.  I wonder what the TV series would have been like if he stayed on as Supes.  His Clark was capable AND a buffoon at the same time.  No slight to George Reeves, but if Alyn had accepted being cast as the Man of Steel on TV, it would have been a lot more faithful to the comics characterization.

Noel Neill, of course, CLASSIC Lois and played Lois faithfully to the comics counterpart... Tommy Bond and Pierre Watkins were also top notch.  Pierre as Perry putting a cigar in his mouth and never finding a match was a GREAT running joke for the serial too.

For B level budget and actors, really top notch productions in both serials.  Very creatively done!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L