superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSuperman Through the Ages!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof that Golden Age Superman = Silver Age Superman  (Read 12152 times)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 05:19:43 AM »

I thought the very first mention of an Earth-2 Superman was in the team-up that had Robin joining the JSA.  

In it, a crook brags about his super-strength, and asks why didn't they send Superman to stop him.  I contend that the crook would NOT have known of the Earth-1 Superman, and that he was referring to HIS Earth's Superman.  

Thoughts?

ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
In the famous Hyper-Man story from Action Comics No. 265, Superman muses : "Hyper-Man dove underwater! His fortress us a plastic dome built on the sea bottom, instead of in the Arctic like mine! But, I had an undersea Fortress once, too!"

EDITOR'S NOTE! See Action Comics No. 44 for the story where Superman's fortress of solitude existed under the ocean!

That issue was from January 1942!

Case close.

Ummm, I beg to differ.  Superman was not referring to the story in Action Comics #44, he was referring to the story in Action Comics #244, September, 1958.  See here.  Superman established a temporary undersea fortress in that issue.  I'll bet there was a typo in that EDITOR'S NOTE, leaving out the 2.

I hate to destroy the entire premise of your thread! :wink:
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 04:42:37 PM »

Bah! Blast you, Potter, and your attempts to destroy our linkage with the "facts."

I'll be back!

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »

Curses, I think the bumbling scientist is correct... Cool

Oh well, it was still a good thread, but it doesn't look like there is much room for an undersea fortress in the one Superman story in this issue...

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=1907
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 08:37:09 PM »

Thanks to my closed-mindedness on the subject, this page from Superman #233 is all the proof I need:

http://superman.nu/tales4/sand/1/?page=16

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 11:12:30 PM »

Say it ain't so Uncle Morty, say it ain't so, anyway, that page, proves my point anyway:

http://superman.nu/tales4/sand/1/?page=16

There are more examples as well. I will post them later

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
I thought the very first mention of an Earth-2 Superman was in the team-up that had Robin joining the JSA.  

In it, a crook brags about his super-strength, and asks why didn't they send Superman to stop him.  I contend that the crook would NOT have known of the Earth-1 Superman, and that he was referring to HIS Earth's Superman.  

Thoughts?

I'll have to check, as it's been a long time since I read that issue.  But I think the first time they showed the earth 2 Superman was in that pinup.  Likewise, that was the first time they probably showed the earth 2 Batman.

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 06:01:26 PM »

Yeah, the pin-up's the first time Earth-2 Superman was SHOWN, but the JSA/JLA team-up mentioned is the first time the Earth-2 Superman was MENTIONED.  

Superman's and Batman's existences were shown to be for the first time in JLA #55.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L