superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Comic Book dialect  (Read 6926 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: September 02, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »

Ok, so our favorite heroes sure have a weird way of speaking, I mean no one ever talks like that in real life,  then again do any of you use expressions normally only read in comic books in normal everyday speak?

I do!

LOL!

At work, we are not allow to say certain things, so people around me say rather silly sounding things like "Oh, Christmas!" and "Oh, Sugar!", I on ther other hand will say stuff like "Holy Moly!" and "Jeepers!", with a straight face, which is not easy to do.

I also like to use other "old timely" expressions, all as a way to poke fun at our little rule, but no one else seems to be on the joke, and I am starting to think that they must think that I really talk like that all the time, LOL!

Oh well... :wink:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:26:45 AM »

I have very occasionally used "Good Gravy!"

Not too many others, though.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 07:50:33 AM »

I quite often say "Great Krypton!". It started off as a joke, then I got so used to it that it now seems quite natural. Less frequently, as often as I can remember to do it, I say "By the crimson bands of Cyttorak", usually when I want to express awe. I am also the only person I know who says "Golly!" without any sense of irony. It's a word I've always used, ever since I was a kid.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »

I also say "Holy Mackerel!" a bit and of course "Great Caesar's Ghost!". I going to start saying "Great Krypton!", since that sounds pretty funny.

I am sure that if I keep this up I would most likely begin to say them anywhere naturally  :shock:  :lol:

It could be worse, I could quoting Thor  :twisted:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
officespace16
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »

i say "Holy Melted Cheese Batman" and "Sweet Fancy Jesus"

o0o0o and "sweet sassy molassy" along w/  "Thor's Hammer!"

YAY!!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:54:14 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I going to start saying "Great Krypton!", since that sounds pretty funny.

Trust me, once you start, you won't go back. It's worth it for the look on people's faces.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »

In my job these days, when I'm in situations where "refreshing honesty" isn't appropriate, I have to bite my tongue to boil things down to a least common demoninator.  I will avoid using words greater than two syllables, let alone anything amusing or prone to misinterpretation.  

That said...  

I'd mumble "Merciful Minerva" a bit when I was working on something involving the name Minerva.

I took Stan Lee's advice at one point in the distant past and added "By the Shades of the Seraphim" and "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth" in front of random requests.  Yes, true believer, it really does make them cooler.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »

There's nothing like having small children to clean up your language, trust me.

I don't use much comic book lingo, but I find myself quoting Oliver Douglas from "Green Acres" and saying, "Oh for the love of..."

It always trails off like that.  I'm sure he was going to say "Pete" or "Mike" and not mention any deities.  :wink:

Some comic book expressions I might want to work into my repertoire include Aquaman's "Jumping Fish-hooks!" and Metamorpho's "Holy Hannah!"

Thor used to say, "Odd's blood!" but there's that religious thing again.  Plus it seems kind of creepy to talk about your dad bleeding.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L