superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Lee LOVES Matter-Eater Lad!  (Read 4414 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: September 04, 2006, 07:08:43 PM »

quotes from the Toronto 2006 panel that just happen:

Who does each panelist think is the most underrated hero in the DCU?

Lee: "Matter-Eater Lad. The guy can eat anything. What a great power that is. Nobody fully appreciates the ability to eat anything. Think about it."

Each was asked what characters at the big two they were interested in doing:

Lee: The Legion of Superheroes. "Starring Matter-Eater Lad!"

full article here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=82876

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »

The untapped potential boggles the mind... Cool
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »

Remember Chunk, the Wally West Flash enemy (and later ally)? He ate everything too, and he proved a very formidable adversary. I think this was during the Messner-Loebs run, but I'm not sure and I can't be bothered to check.

Boy, I wish I were Matter Eater Lad. I have all sorts of allergies that make a trip to the supermarket a prolonged exercise in checking packaging for traces of nuts and the like. A fancy box of chocolates is like Russian roulette.

I wonder what religion Matter Eater Lad is? Is there anything that's not kosher for him?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »

I have to admit, Matter Eater Lad's power was one of the most unique.  I wish they would put him in the current Legion and this time as a member, not as their cook.

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:44:47 AM »

Jim may be a scruffy artist, but he has good taste in characters. Matter-Eater Lad was so full of oddity and charm. He was original and interesting, as opposed to other "cute" characters like Bat-Mite, who is unoriginal and entirely banal. My favorite Matter-Eater Lad moment was when the Miracle Machine confounded every attempt to destroy it, except one: it was EATEN by Matter-Eater Lad!

FUN FACT: Matter-Eater Lad was the sole living and active Legionnaire to not have taken part in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS as a result of his Miracle Machine-induced insanity.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »

I'd much rather have had Matter-Eater Lad eat away at the Post-Crisis than Superboy-Prime punch away at it.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 08:21:30 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
I'd much rather have had Matter-Eater Lad eat away at the Post-Crisis than Superboy-Prime punch away at it.

Actually, Matter Eater Lad might make a really scary VILLAIN, the kind the Justice League has to be called out to whoop on. Provided of course, that he was over a hundred feet in height, so that he could eat skyscrapers and suspension bridges.

When Paul Levitz revealed that Colossal Boy was Jewish in the 1970s, I thought to myself, "hey, why not Matter Eater Lad too?" There's nothing in the Torah specifically denying Titanium, but I'll have to ask a Rabbi about Cobalt, the shellfish of the Periodic Table of Elements.

Hey, when Matter Eater Lad gets flatulent, does he give off Noble Gases?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L