superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:09:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultra-Humanite problems  (Read 3118 times)
pajarator
Superman Fan

« on: September 11, 2006, 06:48:39 PM »

Administrator's note:  This is a duplicate thread and has been locked.  Please post any new replies in the other version of this thread which can be found here.

Ok, I was expanding the entry when I noticed some problems:

- First, there IS an entry of an Ultra-Humanite of Earth2, but since that's supposed to be the same character of the Golden Age era, isn't that entry redundant? I assumed it was created because there IS a continuation in 1980 of where it left off in 1940! But it is NOT a different character... I propose deleting the 'earth2' entry...

- Second, the entry is long and winded, going into very much detail on the first stories... Is this good? I don't see the same type of entry anywhere else. Would it be better if I resumed it? I know detail is good, but this is bothersome to read (it IS a big block of text)...

- Also, I'm having real trouble with gender! While he's in Dolores, should he be referred as 'she'? It's Ultra who's really acting...

I like this character... It has big plans of domination, and he's VERY evil... also has strange powers because of his scientific genius.

Curiously, he disappeared after Luthor came on the scene (Last golden age appearance was in Act 20, Luthor appears on Act 23). I guess they didn't need another mad scientist, and Ultra was effectively replaced by Luthor, but for my part, it's a shame, as he really was a mad genius, a true nemesis for Superman. Luthor is somewhat cautious... What do you think?
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:42:37 AM »

Quote from: "pajarator"
Ok, I was expanding the entry when I noticed some problems:

- First, there IS an entry of an Ultra-Humanite of Earth2, but since that's supposed to be the same character of the Golden Age era, isn't that entry redundant? I assumed it was created because there IS a continuation in 1980 of where it left off in 1940! But it is NOT a different character... I propose deleting the 'earth2' entry...

As I discovered when I wrote for Susie Tompkins' entry, Supermanica's setup is to make seperate entries for the Earth-2 stuff, vs. the original 1940's Golden Age stories...presumably, to account for any revisionism for the Earth-2 aspects (such as the Daily Star on Earth-2, vs. the Golden Age comics' early switch to the Daily Planet). Thus, far as the moderators are concerned, Ultra of Earth-2 is a seperate guy from the Golden Age Ultra (that vanished after the early 40's).... (Shrug)

- Also, I'm having real trouble with gender! While he's in Dolores, should he be referred as 'she'? It's Ultra who's really acting...

Given the similar case of real-life transsexuals who've changed gender, "she" could be an option ... though guess there's a strong argument for "he" (since I assume Ultra would identify himself as being male, even if he's stuck in a woman's body)...

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:50:34 AM »

How strange, a double thread rather than a double post...

One other thing I think is important is the spirit of the Great Superman Book...it came out in the 70s but covered stories to the mid 60s ('64)...since the Superman titles of that time (and really up until Mort left) didn't acknowledge Earth 2 and Superman didn't even appear in the Justice Society in the 60s stories, the spirit of a one earth Superman dominates, unless a story from a canonical reference is specifically from Earth 2 (happening by the 70s).
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:17:52 AM »

please stop posting at this dupe thread, use the other one here:

http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2985

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L