superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Lightning  (Read 8400 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: September 14, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »

So far, we have a stub article for Black Lightning himself... but no article for Suicide Slum, or any of the poorer areas of Metropolis, except for Little Africa.

Black Lightning appeared in one issue of DC Comics Presents and a run in World's Finest. But the bulk of his activities and origin were in his own series, which lasted for 12 issues (one unpublished until later.) The entire series took place in Metropolis, and while not all involved Superman, his adventures would help better define Metropolis itself.

I therefore nominate the "Black Lightning" series to be canonized in Supermanica. While I don't yet have the series, I'd be willing to get it and write the entries. Looking forward, along with the really weird Dahr-Nel saga, this will give us enough articles for Black History Month features.

Thoughts?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »

There was a little more on Black Lightning that I wanted to add, like his war against the new leader of The 100, etc.  Some conversation went in the direction that although they were Metropolis-based, and some involved Superman or Superman characters, it would open up a lot of grey areas.  I'm ambivalent either way, because it seems that if these stories get let in, then some others will have to be also.  I tried to at least sneak in references to Inspector Henderson, etc.  

There is something to be said of at least covering the canonical references before expanding them again, but I don't have a hard opinion.  A Suicide Slum entry would be cool, Jimmy Olsen references abound, and a mention could be made to Black Lightning there.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:43:20 PM »

While a really big expansion (Justice League of America, for example) would be overwhelming, we're talking about 11 issues (possibly 12, depending on when the last one was finally published.) So far, we have endless references to other planets Superman has traveled to, other dimensional realms, etc...but this would help us get a better feel of Metropolis itself. These are also some of the earliest issues in which Inspector Henderson appeared in the comics.

(Coincidentally, did you know that Roberty Shayne, who played the Inspector on tv, was investigated during the Red Scare? George Reeves came to his defense...they could have both been commies! So saith Wikipedia...)

One other thing...I haven't experimented with Supermanica categories yet, other than making the Scientists category...but would it be possible in the entries category to create links that let you browse by letter? Because of everyone's hard work, and the growth of Supermanica this year, it's getting kind of hard to browse those entries...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »

If it's got Inspector Henderson, it's got my vote.

Perhaps we could only mention characters and their activites from this series if said characters appear in the Canonical Sources; but any characters that don't appear in any of the Canonical Sources wouldn't be mentioned.  Sort of a lesser grade status.

Any other thoughts?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »

Well, the Lightning series is '77, Henderson appears in a number of stories starting in '74...one thing I will ask, Black Lightning does have an entry, The 100 has an entry, Inspector Henderson has an entry, an entry for Suicide Slum would be good -- so why should all of Black Lightning adventures from the Black Lightning title be chronicled in detail as opposed to say Rose and the Thorn?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:28:04 PM »

No, Superman appeared in many comics not included so why should Black Lighting be treated any different?

I say he shouldn't since those comics do not matter to the Superman mythos, and far less than the comics Superman himself were in.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »

She had practically all of her adventures in Lois Lane, a few with Superman in them...mostly against the 100...when I wrote her entry I tried to focus on who she was, what she battled, and list the Superman crossovers.  And Lois Lane is a canonical source.  I like Black Lightning and think he should be in the Supermanica, I even think some mentions should be made of his stories, spelling out the references in full.  I'm just not sure they should be canonical.  Actually, that seems sort of what Rao said. Smiley A good suicide slum entry should have Black Lightning in it as well, and there is a lot of Jimmy Olsen stuff to add to it as well.

It would just seem weird to me to have a detailed Black Lightning entry when he lasted about a year, and at the same time, other heroes are mostly limited to the canonical sources.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:39:28 PM »

You must have edited your post, I swear you asked what comics Rose and the Thorn were in... Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L