superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Lightning  (Read 8402 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:42:50 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
You must have edited your post, I swear you asked what comics Rose and the Thorn were in... Cool

Then I realized it was a stupid question :p

So I decided to stay on topic instead Smiley

It happens  Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »

Cool

Looking at the Metropolis entry, its all info pre-1970s...it would be good to have a paragraph or section talking about Little Africa and Suicide Slum.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 02:57:45 AM »

Sure, that would be the perfect place for it.

I know very little about those two places, so someone else needs to go ahead and do them justice.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 03:12:14 AM »

Gangbuster?

Two things have stopped me from adding those things...

1. The Suicide Slum thing is a little ambiguous as it was a Kirby creation for the original Newsboy Legion, and not really identified as a part of Metropolis until the revival in the Jimmy Olsen series of the 70s.

2.  I have tried to add Bronze Age info as much as possible and stay within canonical sources, but because the world of DC was becoming more interconnected by then, it gets beyond my expertise...because I really didn't LIKE the Bronze Age, and I actively avoided the comics, LOL...  Cool

But we do need good Bronze Age info that follows the writing style of TGSB.

I'll put some limited info in, though.

It would really be cool if the 70s Jimmy Olsen stuff could be added, though, both to the Olsen entry and any new entries.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »

Supergirl's series, which was about the same size, is canonical. So I guess the final determination would be whether Black Lightning could be considered a "Superman family" title or not. For this standard, the first Supergirl series could be used: While it was the only Superman Family title to actually have a member of Superman's family in it, it was published in the 70s, ran for only 10 issues, and took place in a Metropolis suburb, with characters that do not appear in other canonical sources.

First, let's take a look at Black Lightning's chronology as a character.

He first appeared in Black Lightning #1.

Inspector Henderson appeared in issue #3, with Clark Kent interviewing him for WGBS.  Issue #4 is a Jimmy Olsen issue, where Olsen is treated as Black Lightning's equal. Officer Corrigan and Superman also appear in this issue.

Issue #5 is titled "Nobody Beats a Superman."  In this issue, Black Lightning justifies why he is needed in a city that already has Superman, after the two converse and then face off against the Cyclotronic Man.

In issue #7, there is a big new revelation about Inspector Henderson's son.  

(Issues #1-8 are generally considered one complete arc.)

Issue #11 was the last, and was written by Dennis O'Neil. O'Neil then continued the series in World's Finest #256-#261. During this time, Black Lightning also appeared with Superman in DC Comics Presents #16 and in two issues of Justice League for America, where he rejected League membership.

Supergirl #1-10 is considered canonical for SUPERMANica. Superman never appears in this book, (though Kandor shows up once,)  yet Superman and related characters appear throughout the Black Lightning series (nearly 50% more, in fact Smiley )

LINKAGE?

Last Son of Krypton is considered Canonical in Supermanica because two comics refer to the novel Miracle Monday, which then refers to it. The linkage of Black Lightning to the canonical sources is much more direct. O'Neil's Black Lightning stories in World's Finest (a canonical source even by TGSB standards) refer to the Black Lightning series, and continue directly from those issues.

Black Lightning's first 20 appearances in the comics are Superman-related: Black Lightning #1-11, World's Finest #256-259, DC Comics Presents #16, JLA #173-174, and World's Finest #260-261. He was thus, in the 1970s, a Superman character. After 1980 he became more closely associated with Batman, appearing in Detective Comics, joining the Outsiders, and coming back for two more issues of World's Finest...but then again, Batman is fairly welcome in Supermanica as well. Cool

That's all for now! Sources used in my research:

http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=blacklightning2

http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=supergirlprec

http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlogarchives/2005/2005_Monthly/2005_03.php

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 06:42:57 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I therefore nominate the "Black Lightning" series to be canonized in Supermanica.

And the poll is open.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 04:24:28 PM »

An interesting fact from my weekend reading:

According to World's Finest 258 (I think), the secret headquarters of the 100 is located beneath the Metropolis Superman Museum!

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L