superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should Black Lightning 1-11 be added to the canonical sources?  (Voting closed: October 01, 2006, 01:31:27 AM)
Yes - 6 (54.5%)
No - 5 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Lightning!  (Read 14659 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
When we consider whether a series is canonical, we are not considering whether it is important or worthy. We are simply considering whether the events in the series ever happened or not.

Or whether the events in the series are important in the world of Superman.  For instance, the events in "Batman" or "Green Lantern" may have happened, but for the purposes of Supermanica, they are not worth noting.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:23:02 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"

When we consider whether a series is canonical, we are not considering whether it is important or worthy. We are simply considering whether the events in the series ever happened or not.

Strictly defined, yes.  But in practice, the canonical works we list at Supermanica are those parts of the chronicles that we have chosen to focus on.  There are already many examples of us quoting and referencing non-canonical sources (I always use the Batwoman entry as an example).  I'm not sure if most of us would agree that Superman's appearances in JLA didn't happen.  At the very least, such an exclusion seriously messes up other entries in Supermanica (JLA, Black Canary, etc).  That is why I feel most discussions of canonical work are not life and death to me: I expect every pre-Crisis appearance of Superman to become an entry at some point but the purpose of the canonical list in my mind has always been to help direct our energies on what we generally agree are the most important adventures.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 03:26:11 AM »

Yeah, I guess I kind of agree, I have absolutely zero problems with some non-canonical references in an entry that obviously canonical, as long as they are properly referenced...if the 100 has a hideout under the Superman Museum, put it in the 100 entry and reference it...

I don't quite see the "happened" or "not happened" idea at all, its more on the focus of the entries...but there's sure a lot of grey areas, such as concentrate on a lot of canonical details or broaden out...

This is all Telle's fault, for suggesting the idea in the first place, LOL... Cool
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 04:00:35 AM »

I stand corrected a bunch of times  Smiley

In the Great Superman Book, there are many references to Batman and Detective Comics, even though they are not canonical. Of course, there is a different reason for this...there was also a Batman encyclopedia, and the Great Superman Book advertised for it (in the case of Bat-Mite being included in Supermanica, for example.)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 03:31:51 PM »

And the 'ayes' have it.

BL has been added to the sources.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 08:40:25 PM »

Well, you got what you wanted so let's see him now get a nice long entry and every character from the mini get their own entry.

S!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »

Boo hoo hoo! :cry:

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 09:31:41 AM »

Thought I'd post this since it's a ghostly echo of that JLA cover where Superman asks Black Lightning to join (discussed earlier).

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L