superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:03:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMALLVILLE --- I just don't get it!  (Read 10493 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: September 19, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »

I know Smallville is pretty much an alternate-Earth reality (isn't everything?).  I hardly watch it, but when I have seen it, something doesn't seem logical:

If Clark meets people who figure prominently in his adult life (Luthor, Lois, Jimmy in this season) won't they recognize later that Superman is the hick kid from Smallville named Clark Kent?

I know this doesn't have bearing on his early life, but have the producers like, THOUGHT about this?  I dunno, it bugs me.  Just put him in a costume and do the show this seems to be shaping up to be, the adventures of Superman
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

Lots of people have a lot of problems with the show...I guess to my mind, the show will end as it began, a Dawson's Creek with some super heroics thrown in, I don't think that even in the couple of years further that it may run will the producers even want to transition to a traditional Superman-like show.
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »

What bothers me about the show is the characterization of Clark Kent.

Clark Kent is supposed to be a well meaning nerd who wears glasses.  Not a pretty boy jock that the girls swoon over.

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »

I enjoyed Smallville for a while when Jeph Loeb was first writing/producing, because the special effects were top-of-the-line and the story was actually moving somewhere. For at least the last two seasons the show hasn't moved forward and the plots have stunk. It is stuck in alternate-reality Dawson's Creek mode, and for a guy who doesn't like soap operas, I am left with no reason to watch it.

I really stopped watching the show when I heard that Superboy was coming out on DVD though, because now I have another option.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:02:47 PM »

Smallville would work if it stuck to even the premise of the MOS mini series and the current DCU (like if ONLY Lana knew Clark in Smallville and she knew of his powers), and even Lex being there is logical since he lived in Smallville on Earth One.

But now, Lois is there (and the actress, from what I've seen of her on the one or two episodes I've seen with her) is probably the best Lois I've seen in a loooong time.  Jimmy appears this season, too...  he can't possibly hide his identity, even if he wanted to!

The producers blew it big time... it was a good premise, but the way it's unfolded leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  They had created oppurtunities to make Clark into, well, Clark... but haven't.  There was an episode where Clark was blinded... he could have started wearing glasses after he regained his sight, but NOOOO!  The Kents could have stated something like "Well, Clark, with these powers you're getting, you should act a lottle more timid so as to not draw attention to yourself".... but NOOOO!

I need my coffee...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »

That's my problem with the show. Nothing ever changes.

Yes, Clark could have worn glasses. Chloe could have stayed dead for more than one episode. Clark's girlfriend who died could have had an impact on something, rather than being completely ignored in the next episode.

Clark can fly? No wait, he can't. Lana has moved to Paris? No wait, she came right back. Now the only drastic change I expect to see in Smallville is for it to go off the air.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »

I'm not that puzzled, I never really thought that the intent was to have a show with any particular tie to the comics...

It has action elements and ongoing mysteries, but it always seemed that soap opera realtionships were the real ongoing elements, Clark in love with Lana, Lana in love with Whitney, Cloe in love with Clark, Lana and Clark and trust issues, Lana and Lex, Lionel and Martha...

I would be really surprised if the intention is ever to show a Superman in the comics sense...
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:57:30 PM »

SOAP OPERA!!! THANK YOU!!!  That's what I felt the first time I watched the show.

I've caught it late nights on the weekends, never first run... not a reason to stay up for Smallville... that's the time I peruse Superman Through The Ages!  (Well, among other times...)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L