superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMALLVILLE --- I just don't get it!  (Read 10464 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 12:36:25 AM »

As long as I think of it as an Elseworlds, I can accept on its own terms as mild entertainment.  It's diverged to the point where I don't expect it to be about "the Superman I know and love as a modern-day young'un".  He's never going to be the guy wearing the classic cape and tights, and that's ok.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:54:36 AM »

If you sift through all the WB er CW gobbledygook, a good story is  found. The plot just needs to be focused back on the basics. First, Clark needs to learn, now and then, to tell the truth and be honorable. Second, the only workable outcome involves an altered timeline and the Legion.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:57:57 AM »

Quote from: "davidelliott"
I know Smallville is pretty much an alternate-Earth reality (isn't everything?).  I hardly watch it, but when I have seen it, something doesn't seem logical:

If Clark meets people who figure prominently in his adult life (Luthor, Lois, Jimmy in this season) won't they recognize later that Superman is the hick kid from Smallville named Clark Kent?

I know this doesn't have bearing on his early life, but have the producers like, THOUGHT about this?  I dunno, it bugs me.  Just put him in a costume and do the show this seems to be shaping up to be, the adventures of Superman

Given the show's "Dawson's Creek with Kryptonite", I'm not surprised that hte producers probably don't care about this facet, though guess Byrne didn't either with the "Clark the well known around Smallville all-star high school football jock doens't wear glasses until he moves to Metropolis and becomes Superman well into his 20's" bit in "Man of Steel"... always one thing that bugged me about the current "Clark doesn't have a Superboy career" stuff (granted, the no-glasses-till-adulthood didn't stop the Golden Age/Earth-2 Superman, but that version had an ordinary childhood devoid of being a football jock/fighting various menaces/other high-profile elements to help protect his identity...).

davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »

I had a dream last night... don't know why... but Clark, in Smallville, had on his Super-suit and was Superman, but everyone was like "Clark... why are you dressed in that stupid costume?"  And he was saying "Huh?  I'm not Clark... I'm Superman"

Weird... just out of the blue...
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:44:58 AM »

Quote from: "davidelliott"
I had a dream last night... don't know why... but Clark, in Smallville, had on his Super-suit and was Superman, but everyone was like "Clark... why are you dressed in that stupid costume?"  And he was saying "Huh?  I'm not Clark... I'm Superman"

Weird... just out of the blue...

Aha!  More evidence that we're living on EARTH-PRIME -- Davidelliott's getting "mental images" of other-dimensional superheroes, just like the old Pre-Crisis DC Comics staff used to receive!   :wink:

DTO
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 07:11:25 AM »

Ha ha.. I actually think you're right!  Especially since I don't watch very much of Smallville!
Composite Superman
Supermen of America

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 01:27:53 AM »

I admit to liking Smallville, but I have no pretensions that it's coherent or logical in it's story-telling. I look at it as mindless fun, loosely based on the Superman mythos.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 09:08:31 PM »

I admit to liking Smallville, but I have no pretensions that it's coherent or logical in it's story-telling. I look at it as mindless fun, loosely based on the Superman mythos.

Same here and there's always a fun geek aspect like the Phantom Zone, Zod or Green Arrow showing up. Plus I like seeing the Daily Planet globe revolve every week!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L