superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vixen, DC's 1st female black superhero, all but forgotten?  (Read 6319 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: September 20, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »

BTW, when is someone going to add Vixen to the Supermanica? I know very little about her, I "discovered" her when searching for info on Black Lightning. She also was going to be the 1st black female superhero to get her own book before it was cancelled.  So DC made her part of the world of Superman.

Issues she appeared in:

Action Comics #521, July 1981 "The Deadly Rampage of the Lady Fox!"
Character appearances:
Superman; Clark Kent; Lana Lang; Morgan Edge; The Vixen (intro, guest star); Mule (villain)

DC Comics Presents #68, April 1984 "Destiny's Children!"
Character appearances:
Superman; Vixen; Admiral Cerebrus (intro, villain)

After that she appeared in many Justice League comics until this every day. I belive she also appeared in the Cartoon as well. Sure, she was a stereotype like every other black hero created in those days, but she is still worth noting.

Some websites:

http://superheroines.tribe.net/thread/ca18cab0-3c88-4f8b-a9f7-114ace3f9b19

http://www.openjournalmontreal.com/the-super-black-macho-one-baad-mutha-shutch-yo-mouth-black-superhero-masculinity-in-1970s-mainstream-comic-books/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »

I believe I may have DC Comics Presents #68 at home. And, after being married for 3 months, I should finally have my rural Internetification restored at home this weekend. Then, I will be able to finally do all of these things on Supermanica that I keep talking about, but hypocritically not doing.

If I remember correctly, Vixen was also one of Green Lantern's girlfriends on Justice League Unlimited.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Sure, she was a stereotype like every other black hero created in those days, but she is still worth nothing.

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you meant to say "noting"?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »

Yet another one of Beppo's many alleged mis-typings that somehow contain more truth than the "intended" word.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »

noting, of course, I fixed it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DrJohnnyDiablo
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:21 AM »

It looks like Vixen is going to be a member of Brad Meltzer's new JLA in the current Justice League of America title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vixen_%28comics%29

"New master didn't realize it am crime against Bizarro code to make anything perfect on Bizarro World! He is in trouble if his robots change shape of this planet into globe!"-Bizarro-Krypto(March, 1962)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 08:19:57 AM »

After a long period in Limbo, Vixen resurfaced in the "Justice League Unlimited" animated show.  She became quite popular among fans, and ultimately entered a relationship with Green Lantern John Steward before the end of that series.  (She's also made at least one appearance in the associated "Justice League Unlimited" comic book.)  

Shortly thereafter Vixen rejoined the mainstream DC universe in "Birds of Prey".  Gail Simone once again salvaged another female character who previously seemed destined for that infamous "refrigerator" (Lady Blackhawk being another example), and now Vixen is probably more popular today than when she was introduced as part of the old "Detroit Justice League".  She was recently seen with her old Justice League teammates (including deceased members Steel and Vibe) in a "JLA Classified" flashback story.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »

s'funny, i just picked up that origin issue and was going to add her.  

maybe this weekend.

Odd issue/origin --her name "Vixen" is mentioned once in the whole story and not even on the cover i think.

Always wondered where she was from before the Giffen JLA.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L