superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is All-Star Superman the Superman of Earth-One?  (Read 17348 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: September 21, 2006, 02:25:34 PM »

I was rereading All-Star Superman #4 last night, where Superman is affected by the Black Kryptonite from the Underverse. At first, Superman is unafraid of it because he has been immune to Green Kryptonite for some time. I didn't catch this the first time I read it...does this immunity come from Lex Luthor's actions in the first issue, or is he referring to what happened in Superman #233?

I guess I'll need to reread the first issue to make sure, but I don't remember Superman being unaffected by Kryptonite radiation in #1.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »

No, I think this refers to the fact that he discovered that the solar radiation he was exposed to in All-Star 1 made him invulnerable to green K, as evidenced when a paranoid Lois blasted him with a Kryptonite gun in the Fortress of Solitude. It's part of All-Star's internal continuity.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »

Ah...ok. I just haven't read those issues in a while.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Tom-El
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 01:17:35 AM »

I was always under the impression that All-Star Superman is an imaginary continuation, if not a re-imagining, of pre-Crisis Superman.....
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:56:15 AM »

well it doesn't seem to totally match up with pre-crisis superman but then again Pre-crisis Superman very rarely agreed with itself either.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »

Sort of a 52 question but here it goes, would you accept All-Star Superman as the New Earth-1 version?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 11:19:35 PM »

the death of Pa Kent was very different than what happened in the comicbook. though that could be chalked up to time traveling or something.

But back during the "good ol days" they used to make up continuity all the time anyways.
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »

While continuity was always in a state of flux, there were some key elements that once fixed remained fixed and didn't change between 1958 and 1986.

I was hoping that All-Star Superman could be considered a kind of 70s Superman continuity (if that Superman had continued), but the change of certain key elements--like Jonathan's death--now make this impossible.

Once the deaths of Ma and Pa were explored, they became established as set continuity. And a key element of that is that Ma died first, then Pa. With Clark making his tearful goodbyes to his Dad on his deathbed.

It's obvious when you read the origin stories in a series that the new origin writer was always looking back at the previous one. The old one is edited down, certain elements are left out, new elements are put in, but specific passages of the previous origin(s) are quoted exactly and often even rendered by the new artist with the same posing and camera angles as the previous.

There are a lot of things I can allow for in the All-Star version as just artistic license, but Jonathan Kent's death sets the series outside Earth One continuity.

India Ink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L