superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Krypto mini series has hit the stands  (Read 4800 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: September 21, 2006, 10:12:24 PM »

Here is one comic which has many Silver Age elements and can safely be read by kids of all ages, even us older ones would rather read something other than bills Wink that I fear might go under the radar. So hopefully this thread can help stop that from happening.

1st off here is an interview with the writer Jesse Leon McCann:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8427

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:21:50 AM »

I'd love to see it expanded beyond Krypto:
"Krypto and Ace: World's Furriest".
"Krypto and the Legion of Super Pets"
etc.

Hopefully, it comes out in digest, and gets marketed where kids are actually likely to see it (not a comic book store, in other words).
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 04:27:04 AM »

Not my cup of tea, but my son liked it.

I just wish that DC would put some actual effort behind their titles geared for the younger readers, like Marvel does with their Marvel Adventures titles.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »

Krypto the Superdog #1 is an excellent read for kids as well as longtime fans of Superman aka adults. The plot is tight with fantastic artwork. It's a pleasant surprise and completely overlooked by yours truly. Thanks guys for bringing Krypto to my attention.

My only criticism, books like this are relegated to comic shops/specialty stores. Krypto should be out in the supermarkets, gas stations, local pharmacies, and book stores easliy accessible to kids.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »

To be honest, if I was 10 or so - in other words, in the book's target age range according to the writer - I don't think I'd buy KRYPTO. I'd buy SUPERMAN or X-MEN or AVENGERS. It has an exclusively "kid" sensibility that I would be aware of and avoid. I don't want to say "dumbed down," because that's the wrong word to use...perhaps a better way to put it is the way stories are simplified and made more direct.

There is something honestly cooler, savvier, and more desirable to read about something that skews to older readers. Batman in his comics solves a mystery involving jewel smugglers. When Mickey Mouse confronts a mystery, it's about...I don't know...stolen pies.

I never knew a single kid that owned JR. CLUE, where the mystery was about a missing pet. But everybody played CLUE, which was about a murder. The JR. CLUE packaging looked much less desirable; Professor Plum looked like Chuckie from RUGRATS. Who wants to play as that? Me, though, I wanted to be a badass like Colonel Mustard, and hang out in that cool-looking Victorian house with a glamorous and exciting dame like Miss Scarlet.

(This is by the way if I can go on a tangent, why characters like superheroes that are aimed at prepubescents, have girlfriends: women aren't desired for sex or romance, but but because they represent glamour and adventure and maturity.)

This is not to say that comics should be written just for teenagers and adults. But JONNY QUEST was a children's show, as was SNAGGLEPUSS, and there's a difference between the two. Does every cartoon have to be a JONNY QUEST? No. But I wouldn't want to see a spin-off featuring a talking Bandit, either.

This is why I have zero interest in the Powerpuff Girls. And I don't have a time machine handy, but if I was to bring an eight year old me to the present, he'd prefer JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED to the PG's.

As for the character of Krypto himself...he's so cute, actually, I might pick this comic up just for him. Awwww!

Uncle Morty, though he had a wonderful sense of vision, had one flaw and that was sometimes he didn't entirely understand that it's possible to have too much of a good thing. Any super-animal represents Mort's Achilles Heel.

This is why, in my opinion, Krypto's best stories are mostly Post-Weisenger.

Personally, Krypto only seemed interesting when Maggin brought him back and emphasized his more doglike qualities: he was often distracted by things a human wouldn't be distracted by, but at the same time he had all the heroic qualities that hero dogs have: a selfless, singleminded way of thinking, and a captacity for devotion and loyalty.

The art style looks strange, but colorful and cute...as opposed to the "Samurai Jack" style, which looks angular and ugly. I might it pick it up!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:12:59 AM »

I haven't seen the Krypto title, but as Julian points out, I don't suppose it will really appeal to children. In fact, few comics aimed at kids really appeal to them. I'm a bit stodgy and think that children's literature should all be like The Wind in the Willows and Winnie-the-Pooh (illustrated by Ernest Shepard, thank you very much, not this Disney abomination), and in my experience, small children are actually attracted to that sort of thing. Writing for children is difficult because they immediately know when they are getting ripped off and getting the watered-down version of the grown-up stuff. (Much as I hate Harry Potter, I have to admit that part of Rowling's success is that she doesn't talk down to her audience.) Comic-book writers tend not to be very good at that sort of thing, but I wonder if Darwyn Cooke could make a fist of it.

Next time they do a Krypto series, would it be too much to have one aimed at adults? Stop laughing, I'm serious. I'm 39, pompous, boring and law-abiding, and I think I would probably enjoy reading about Krypto. Though to be honest, I'm more of a cat person. Could DC do that, please? A Streaky the Cat Story? For middle-aged men? Set in a pub, perhaps?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 03:16:37 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I might it pick it up!

Please do, I bet you'll enjoy it.  Cheesy

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:35:58 AM »

I myself enjoyed the "Krypto" TV cartoon, even knowing it's aimed at a much younger audience; think there's room for both "Krypto" and "Justice League" (the latter I never liked----the heroes all act too much like annoying arrogant 9th-graders :-p). Was hoping to give my soon-to-be-four-year-old niece some sort of Krypto item for her birthday soon (or Christmas), probably the comic... figure a nice way to introduce her to the overall world of Superman (and figure she'd like the dog aspect).

Re: the Powerpuff Girls: I also enjoyed the PPG series, as well--- like "Dexter's Lab" before it, it had elements that adults and kids could enjoy  (or at least the adults---see: the PPG episode where they parodied the Beatles)...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L