superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Who's with me on this??  (Voting closed: September 22, 2006, 11:11:33 AM)
Yes, David you should run DC! - 1 (100%)
You're nuts.. things are perfect the way they are! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If I took over DC Comics...  (Read 5178 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: September 22, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »

I would do my OWN Crisis... wipe out EVERYTHING except Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.... bring back the multiverse and start things all over again on a new Earth... new Flash, Green Lantern, JLA, etc.  They can visit the heroes of Earth One and Earth Two once a year...

I would hire decent writers and artists and HONOR the legacies of the heroes.  There's too many characters these days!  I think the costumed population outnumbers civilians!

COIE was supposed to streamline things, but continuity is MORE confusing in the past 20 years than it was in the first 50!!!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »

I think they should hire the ghosts of Mort and Julie.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:11:47 AM »

I'd go back to multiple smaller continuities and make it explicit.  I'd like a "Batman", "Superman", and "JLA" continuity that's different at a minimum.  Screw the "one main continuity" weenies -- it's too hard, not clear to me that the rewards are worth it (vs. the rewards of having some number of worlds).  I'd definitely go whole-hog into anime and whatever it takes to attract and entertain kids/future buyers.  I'd do more comics that have a distinct end point and end issue planned in advance.  I -like- that folks like Brian Vaughan have a long-but-bounded end planned for Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina.  

And then I'd wake up...
BenJGrimm-El
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 01:15:03 AM »

I'd love to FLUSH the last twenty years and bring back our wonderful Pre-Crisis multiverse!!! I would proceed as if Crisis On Idiotic Earths had never happened!!! We just hire writers who don't think you have to destroy (i.e. REWRITE) a character's history!!! Hire writers who grew up with the REAL DC HEROES; Those who understand how horrible things have been BYRNED Grin since 1986! I realize that this would mean that DC Comics would be under the control of a bunch of out of touch old farts like me; but it's fun to dream!

I wonder, though; Do you think it would be too much to ask if DC would allow a series or two that allowed some of today's writers to tell Pre-Crisis stories? Something along the lines of Legends Of The Dark Knight; An anthology of sorts; Rotating creative teams, telling stories from our beloved multiverse about varying heroes in one shots; or perhaps two, three or even five to six issue story arcs? 

I know, I KNOW..."MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' BASEMENT, GET A LIFE, AND GROW THE HELL UP!!!!"
It'll never happen...ah, well...still fun to dream... Cry

BEN

LEGION OF DOOM
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »

Do what we can to get kids back into reading comics.

Lionel Trains, once a part of everyones chiildhood, found itself in the position of having nothing but grumpy old men as its customers.....they've taken some steps recently with moderately priced starter sets, in particular a Thomas the Train set with an excellent transformer and the new improved FasTrak

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »

I'd love to FLUSH the last twenty years and bring back our wonderful Pre-Crisis multiverse!!! I would proceed as if Crisis On Idiotic Earths had never happened!!! We just hire writers who don't think you have to destroy (i.e. REWRITE) a character's history!!! Hire writers who grew up with the REAL DC HEROES; Those who understand how horrible things have been BYRNED Grin since 1986! I realize that this would mean that DC Comics would be under the control of a bunch of out of touch old farts like me; but it's fun to dream!

I wonder, though; Do you think it would be too much to ask if DC would allow a series or two that allowed some of today's writers to tell Pre-Crisis stories? Something along the lines of Legends Of The Dark Knight; An anthology of sorts; Rotating creative teams, telling stories from our beloved multiverse about varying heroes in one shots; or perhaps two, three or even five to six issue story arcs? 

I know, I KNOW..."MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' BASEMENT, GET A LIFE, AND GROW THE Heck UP!!!!"

BEN

Ben, I have to ask you if you've been keeping up with current developments, and if so, what you think of them.

The multiverse is back, pre-crisis stories have been told in Solo (an "anthology of sorts with rotating creative teams," telling stories about different characters) and the pre-Crisis Superman continues in All-Star Superman.

Kurt Busiek, a "writer who grew up with the REAL DC HEROES" and who "understands how horrible things have been BYRNED since 1986" is the current writer on Superman and looks to me to be doing incredible work.

Going back and reading davidelliott's initial post in this thread is like reading an outline summary of everything that DC is in the midst of doing!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »

I know, I KNOW..."MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' BASEMENT, GET A LIFE, AND GROW THE Heck UP!!!!"

BEN

Ben, I have to ask you if you've been keeping up with current developments, and if so, what you think of them.

The multiverse is back, pre-crisis stories have been told in Solo (an "anthology of sorts with rotating creative teams," telling stories about different characters) and the pre-Crisis Superman continues in All-Star Superman.

Kurt Busiek, a "writer who grew up with the REAL DC HEROES" and who "understands how horrible things have been BYRNED since 1986" is the current writer on Superman and looks to me to be doing incredible work.

Going back and reading davidelliott's initial post in this thread is like reading an outline summary of everything that DC is in the midst of doing!

Who is this Kurt Busiek? Are you honestly telling me I should go to the store and instead of buying "Showcase" and trade paperback collected editions, I should buy a current Superman comic?  Shocked
BenJGrimm-El
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:36:24 PM »

Rao;
     I have indeed been keeping up with Mr. Busiek's SUPES work of late, and at first I was mildly interested by them; especially his characterization of Luthor. The past few issues with the Khyber (sp?) storyline have not thrilled me; Still; I'm giving Kurt a few more shots. His mainstream work is rarely on a level with his ASTRO CITY output. One thing I can say for Busiek's current run; it's far superior to that Richard Donner drivel that DC has been spewing!!! The Director's cut to SUPERMAN 2 was GREAT; but he should stay away from comics! Cheesy

BTW; I ADORE ALL STAR SUPERMAN! I  don't know if it has ever been formally defined by DC; But I see ALL STAR SUPES as a sort of Pre-Crisis, elseworlds kind of series set in the present day, and I'm all for it! I would, however, still love to see stories that read as if they were from that long lost, beloved era! I would really LOVE to read a new story the features my long gone Sad Legion Of Super Heroes! I'd like to see a good ol' JLA/JSA team up! Is that too much to ask? Probably so! Cry

Oh, and Aldous; I'm with ya on the Showcase and trades; I do still buy (and even enjoy) a few current DC books; Though the best SUPER-HERO book on the market right now is INVINCIBLE! The only SUPERMAN book that I would recomend is the aforementioned ALL STAR SUPERMAN! It's the closest we will get to the true Kal until DC let's Mark Millar write his own series! I know the guy is a SICKO; but he has all the right ideas about the BIG RED S! I hope he gets a shot soon!

BEN

LEGION OF DOOM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L