superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman is vegetarian, right?  (Read 25604 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 11:18:17 AM »

It doesn't make sense for Superman to be a vegetarian.

Humans are naturally omnivores, and Superman is an Alien. Superman is smart enough to understand this and just like he wouldn't force carnivore animals like loins to become herbivores, he wouldn't see anything wrong with humans doing something natural like eating meat. It just wouldn't make sense. Plants are alive so why not eat them too? So are trees so anything made with wood (like comics) would be evil too, right? So are micro-organisms, so does that mean we should never wash as to not KILL germs? Either all life is important or not, if you want to pick favorites, that a personal choice based on personal opinions not facts.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »

I for one, find the Mark Waid idea of Superman being a vegetarian rather interesting for three reasons.

The first is that it extends logically from a very intriguing concept in the Maggin novels, that because of Superman's vision, he sees everything as a type of luminous electromagnetic halo, which partially accounts for his refusal to kill, or at least means it's based on awe and respect instead of a hardassed rule.

The second is, like Great Rao says, different writers have been inconsistent about this and it's good to get somebody giving a definite answer.

The third reason is...well, maybe it's my puckishness here, but it's fun fun fun to watch some guys squirm about around this. There's a whole subgroup of "macho" men that view vegetarianism as an insult to traditional masculinity.

Now, if only we can get John Wayne to come out of the closet, we'd be somewhere.  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

The third reason is...well, maybe it's my puckishness here, but it's fun fun fun to watch some guys squirm about around this. There's a whole subgroup of "macho" men that view vegetarianism as an insult to traditional masculinity.

I am not squirming, I don't think being a vegetarian makes you some kind of Nancy boy or anything. But, I do find it completely absurd that some people can be so vain and full of themselves to actually think that being a vegetarian actually makes you a better person and is taking some kind of moral high ground which is just stupid, period. As if people who eat meat like they are suppose to somehow hate animals. Insanity!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 10:14:29 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"

I am not squirming, I don't think being a vegetarian makes you some kind of Nancy boy or anything. But, I do find it completely absurd that some people can be so vain and full of themselves to actually think that being a vegetarian actually makes you a better person and is taking some kind of moral high ground which is just stupid, period. As if people who eat meat like they are suppose to somehow hate animals. Insanity!

Like I said...this is often a religious decision, and by making it people naturally DO believe they are taking the moral high ground. That doesn't mean that a majority of people in India are INSANE, for example, it's just the nature of the thing. And while some people do go very far overboard in trying to push vegetarianism on other people, I don't think this is the point of view of Mark Waid, or any of the people who have posted here. The question is what Superman's beliefs are, and what the limits of his code against killing actually are. That said, it is VERY unnatural for Monkeys to be eating meat, and you should get that checked out. Creatures with opposable thumbs can't eat meat without cooking it first, and monkeys can't cook!

On the insanity of people from India, however, I did once read an old Batman story where suddenly, there appeared...HINDUS!

P.S.- If humans are naturally omnivores, to an extent...Superman does not need meat, because he gets his energy from Photosynthesis Supreme. This begs the question...if Superman eats plants, is he in a way committing acts of cannibalism?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 12:59:19 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"

P.S.- If humans are naturally omnivores, to an extent...Superman does not need meat, because he gets his energy from Photosynthesis Supreme. This begs the question...if Superman eats plants, is he in a way committing acts of cannibalism?

Superman isn't Swamp Thing! LOL!

That doesn't mean that a majority of people in India are INSANE, for example, it's just the nature of the thing.

Great Krypton! That's one hell of a jump to make from my statements!

Here are the FACTS:

The per capita consumption of beef/buffalo in India is 2.8 kg, about half that of fish, but more than twice the average intake of mutton, pork and poultry - indirect evidence that beef consumption must be quite common among meat-eaters of all religions.

Efforts to dispel our ignorance about Indian food habits are controlled by our increasingly powerful thought police. Some groups have gone to court and obtained a stay on the publication of a scholarly book, Holy Cow: Beef in Indian Dietary Traditions. The author, well-known historian Prof. D. N. Jha, has extensively argued elsewhere, too, that few taboos existed on beef in Vedic times. This was based on a study of Hindu religious texts and scriptures, which give ample evidence of beef-eating in Vedic India.

from : The hindu: Online edition of India's National Newspaper
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/09/16/stories/13160467.htm

That said, it is VERY unnatural for Monkeys to be eating meat, and you should get that checked out. Creatures with opposable thumbs can't eat meat without cooking it first, and monkeys can't cook!

Please read the following:

http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_meat.htm

and also:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 01:40:47 AM »

Great Krypton! That's one Heck of a jump to make from my statements!

I know. I exaggerated on purpose.

That said, it is VERY unnatural for Monkeys to be eating meat, and you should get that checked out. Creatures with opposable thumbs can't eat meat without cooking it first, and monkeys can't cook!

Please read the following:

http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_meat.htm

and also:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html[/quote]

While I took the time to read these articles, and they are very interesting, a few facts remain. Many people in India are Muslims, but let us suppose that many Hindus do partake of the occasional hamburger: that still does not change the fact that monkeys eat the banana, and are incapable of grilling, roasting, or frying meats with their mid-sized little monkey brains. Therefore, you still need help.  Tongue

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 02:41:39 AM »

You do know I am not really a monkey right? :oops:

- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 05:53:49 AM »

Creatures with opposable thumbs can't eat meat without cooking it first

Gangbuster, I'm afraid this is completely incorrect.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L