superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Batman eventually surpass Superman?  (Read 22342 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 03:29:06 AM »

Superman and Batman are like two peas in a pod, they are like brothers! Best friends for life... on Earth-1. That's the real Batman, all other versions are frauds.

Speaking of which, please DC, release Showcase World's Finest!

proof is on the covers:

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=216
http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=9160&zoom=4

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 08:32:45 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Superman and Batman are like two peas in a pod, they are like brothers! Best friends for life... on Earth-1. That's the real Batman, all other versions are frauds.

proof is on the covers:

I saw that comic book on the news-stand in an episode of Adv. of Superman, where the Daily Planet was being sold.

But those cover scenes are just too chummy... All dressed in their tights, no less. More likely the big two would meet for lunch in civvies, and ditch the kid for the day.  :wink:  Sometimes they would feel like acting like grown-ups, I'm sure.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »

What I like about them is that they are funny. You will never, ever see covers like that again.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 01:01:41 AM »

Yeah, those are certainly time capsules.  I love them all.  I'd like to see Alex Ross try for some of that good-natured fun in his paintings --him being such a comics purist and all.

I was going to comment that many of those WF covers are perfect fodder for the "Superman is a Jerk"-type out of context blogs since Robin seems to get the short end of the stick and is often condescended to in many of those scenarios, but the other two are victims of the joke as often as not.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 04:53:37 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Yeah, those are certainly time capsules.  I love them all.  I'd like to see Alex Ross try for some of that good-natured fun in his paintings --him being such a comics purist and all.

I was going to comment that many of those WF covers are perfect fodder for the "Superman is a Jerk"-type out of context blogs since Robin seems to get the short end of the stick and is often condescended to in many of those scenarios, but the other two are victims of the joke as often as not.

What could mean more to a boy than to be the object of gentle ribbing by the two men he looks up to most?

This is sometimes overlooked in our modern, politically-correct times, where you have to tip-toe around minorities, etc. If you are never the butt of someone's good-natured joke, you'd better take a good look at what people really think of you.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 08:42:13 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

proof is on the covers:

I had a friend that argued ceaselessly that Neal Adams was the single most significant artist in comics history; he argued that the Silver Age ended the moment that Neal Adams did a comics cover, because his work could never definitively be "Silver Age."

And more and more, I find myself agreeing with him. You go back, you see covers featuring Superman and Batman playing pranks on Robin or playing baseball, and I say to myself, "Neal Adams would never do a cover like that."

We're talkin about Neal Adams, the guy who had Validus knock out Superboy in the "Fight for Championship of the Universe" to the shock and astonishment of gaping Legionnaires in ADVENTURE COMICS #366. The guy that had thousands of action figure sized Supermans turn on the real one with a face of contorted agony on Superman's face, on the cover of SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #135...this guy, Neal. HE would not have them bicycling together. No way, Jose.

Anyway, as a fan of Adams and his action covers or the way George Perez somehow fits a million figures in at once and they're all fighting World War VII, it may be hard for me to appreciate the snore-inducing pastoralism of these covers. It's a good thing WORLD'S FINEST got their collective spit together later on to produce such insanely eye-catching covers like "WHO IS REFLECTO..AND WHY DOES HE WANT TO KILL SUPERMAN AND BATMAN?"

Boy, I sure thought John Byrne was getting lazy in THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES when his panels were pretty much white space with a person in the center. (This especially got noticeable when the very background-detailed Jackson Guice took over penciling later on.) But Byrne on INDIANA JONES doesn't hold a candle to a lot of the Golden Age covers, where you've got Superman surrounded by yellow nothingness and maybe someone throwing a pie at him in a corner.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 08:52:52 AM »

By the way, my all time favorite is this one:

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=8471&zoom=4

What exactly is Robin doing in this one? I swear, he's the superhero equivalent of the guy that helps you move a couch by grasping it in the middle.

I wonder what Batman is saying to those beachgoers. Five gets you ten he's saying:

"Hey ladies, wanna make a 'me' sandwich?"

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

While we're on the subject of these charming old covers, can anyone tell me what is going on in this one:
http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=4544&zoom=4
Is Superman defrosting the refrigerator? Why have the bananas and an apple fallen to the floor? What is Lois so upset about? Is it that she was trying to break the ice with her hammer and he's doing it with his little finger?

Beyond that, Lois certainly seems to eat a healthy, balanced diet.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L