superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC: New Frontier  (Read 8168 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 03, 2006, 08:20:59 PM »

I have not read it, but the art and premise looks cool.  Can anyone "review" it? I don't care about spoilers... what's it about?  As far as I can tell, it takes place on a unified post-Crisis type Earth, but in "real" time of when the characters appeared  in the comics?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:35:36 PM »

Please use the search button:

http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1619&highlight=frontier

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:08:20 AM »

Well, thanks for the link... but it doesn't really TELL me anything other than what a great thing it is/was
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:25:13 AM »

Thats the best revue you can ask for so U can discover on your own
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »

Huh?  I don't see anything ABOUT the story... pretty much just that the writer/artist did a good job.

I also don't have $75.00 to spend on it (according to the DC Comics website) so I was wondering about it.  What's the premise... what's it about?  I have no idea and can't tell anything from the thread that's referenced (I read it a few times to see if I missed something, but maybe I am missing something???
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 02:50:21 AM »

The story follows the activities of the founding Silver Age JLA members and assorted sci-fi heroes (Challengers of the Unknown, et al) in the time period after the Second World War when, under a sort of anti-superhero McCarthyism, superhero activity is severely limited.  The new 1950s heroes eventually unite with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman to battle a world-wide menace, setting the stage for their first "actual" appearance in Showcase.

The series attempts to give a more nuanced version of the Silver Age heroes' origins and motivations without diverging too much from the established continuity of those original adventures, all the while striving to capture something of the optimistic mood of the late-50s, early-60s (comics and politics), especially in terms of the art style.  An intriguing effort that is pleasantly nostalgic and rewards knowledgable fans, full of very nice cartooning and colour, with some clunky bits plot- and dialogue-wise.  I didn't spend my life waiting for something like this, nor do I think it necessary as an "Elseworlds meets Retcon" revisionist backstory, but it isn't as offensive, boring, or ugly as 99% of most modern superehero comics.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:33:52 PM »

Thanks Telle... I appreciate it!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »

Quote from: "davidelliott"
Huh?  I don't see anything ABOUT the story... pretty much just that the writer/artist did a good job.

I also don't have $75.00 to spend on it (according to the DC Comics website)

It also came out as 2 softbound trade paperbacks and can be had relatively cheaply at e-bay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L