superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC: New Frontier  (Read 7978 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:41 PM »

I guess you could say it's a "unified Post-Crisis type Earth" in the sense that everybody...JSA and JLA alike...all live on one world. But it'd probably be more accurate to call it an "Elseworlds" in the sense that it doesn't follow pre- or post-Crisis continuity.  Batman and Superman, for instance, appear to have been active since the Golden Age while Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are just coming on the scene.  So maybe you could look it as a What If scenario.  What if, after Showcase #4, DC had pursued a "unified continuity" approach rather than the multiple Earths gag?  Well, except that Batman is still running around in 1956 with his original costume from 1939, and no Robin...

I'd say it's closest in spirit to James Robinson and Paul Smith's "Golden Age" miniseries from a few years back (and in fact Darwyn Cooke has said it's an inspiration).  That series doesn't quite "fit," either, but it's an outstanding read.

Whatever.  The point of New Frontier is not how it fits into continuity (it doesn't).  The point is to examine the nature of heroism in a specific period of American history.  And taken in that light, it's a fantastic read.  Cooke does a terrific job of making characters like Hal Jordan and Ace Morgan REAL...to the point where, when the emphasis shifts to super-heroics more than the flesh-and-blood mortal heroics earlier in the story, I was actually kind of disappointed (!).

The real genius of the story, though, is the way it takes an old series a lot of fans may have forgotten and makes it the nexus of a millenia-spanning threat to the entire DCU.  And no, I'm not gonna spoil it.  Suffice to say if you've been reading comics since the 60s or 70s, there's lots of little payoffs throughout.

The 75-dollar "Absolute" edition is, I'm betting, worth it.  But you could go cheap like I did and buy the two TPBs for pretty durn cheap at a spot like TalesOfWonder.com

Oh, and aside from a couple cool scenes, Superman doesn't do much of anything.  But it's not really his story.

Next up from Cooke, the Batman and Spirit one-shot followed by the Spirit monthly.  I am so there.

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 04:21:05 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Next up from Cooke, the Batman and Spirit one-shot followed by the Spirit monthly.  I am so there.

Hey, I'll see you there then! I've been looking forward to this.

Seriously, davidelliott, read New Frontier if you like old-school, proper cartooning and intelligent, frequently witty, writing. Cooke comes up with several interesting takes on DC characters, especially Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern. Personally, I found the ending a bit disappointing: it's your average Huge-Menace-That-Will-Eradicate-Life-As-We-Know-It-But-They-All-Take-It-On-Because-They-Are-Inspired-By-Superman's-Heroism thing, but the buildup is great.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »

Darwyn Cooke is now writing Superman's new series called:

SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL

with artist Tim Sale.

see here:

http://dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6238

http://dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6416

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 06:14:12 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Quote from: "davidelliott"
Huh?  I don't see anything ABOUT the story... pretty much just that the writer/artist did a good job.

I also don't have $75.00 to spend on it (according to the DC Comics website)

It also came out as 2 softbound trade paperbacks and can be had relatively cheaply at e-bay

I found a copy of volume one through my local library's loaning network.  That way you can read through it before deciding whether or not to buy it.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:17 PM »

It sounds awesome... I will HAVE to look for it!

Thanks everyone!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 09:34:42 PM »

Tales of Wonder has it for $52.49, which is only 13 bucks more than list price for the two TPBs.

Meanwhile, the DC site provides a nice wallpaper for your PC using the Absolute edition's cover art:

http://www.dccomics.com/downloads/#desktop_patterns

This looks like a job for...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 02:07:32 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Oh, and aside from a couple cool scenes, Superman doesn't do much of anything.  But it's not really his story.

I loved the ending with Lois, though!  But yeah, think of it like most JLA stories, where Superman didn't always save the day at the end.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L