superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurt Busiek Superman Interview  (Read 3913 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: October 04, 2006, 12:10:06 AM »

KURT BUSIEK TALKS POST-UP, UP & AWAY SUPERMAN  

Together with Carlos Pacheco, Kurt Busiek has been in the creators’ seat of Superman for three issues now, putting the post Infinite Crisis Man of Steel through his paces, while introducing readers to the new status quo of Metropolis and Superman’s world. To begin in this first arc – an alien (formerly property of the Soviet Union) intent on seeing Superman smashed into paste, Lana Lang heading up LexCorp, shadows of a dire future, and Arion – yeah, that guy – the long-lost Lord of Atlantis.
We caught up with Busiek for an inside look.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Superman/busiek.html

Super Monkey: Please don't post full texts from other sites when a link will do.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »

As always, "King" Kurt is interesting and insightful.

I'm enjoying the Busiek Superman much, much more than ALL-STAR SUPERMAN (though I think it would be revealing to see who prefers what to what).

A few comments I thought were particularly intriguing:

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
Superman's so powerful that the stories have to be about something other than the powers and the fights, or else it just turns into a game of cosmic one-upmanship that I think would bore the crap out of the audience.

I agree with this, because for one thing, Superman's stories, as a result of the fact he doesn't really get into fights, are consequently plotted very differently from those of other superheroes; they're based on him pulling a clever trick at the last minute, or a twist ending that totally recontextualizes the entire story, or generally solutions from way out in left field based on his brains and on mental action.

An example of this would be that Bronze Age story where Superman was transported to the future, along with other heroic figures: Abe Lincoln, and so forth. They were beamed back there in order to have a chat with them, because they were just about to die.

Suddenly...out of nowhere, Superman cravenly says that he refuses to go back - why would he want to return if he's going to die if he can remain in the future and live?

Such behavior seems strange, however, in reality, it was all part of Superman's plan, his Super-Brain clocking.

KDB: Actually, I worked up plans for Arion when I was going to be writing JLA regularly, and that storyline fit really well into Superman, so I just moved it over. I started looking at Arion because nobody was using him much, and he'd had his own book for a while, he had some history, some gravitas, some sense of being important to the DC Universe – and I really liked the bitter, cranky old phony he'd become in Arion the Immortal. And then I found out he was dead, but I found out that only added to the fun of the story, to bring Arion from the past into the present, cranky as hell that he's dead in this time and he still can't rest.

I loved this story! He was characterized so magnificently. I'll have to go at length about this in the future. Let it suffice to say for now that the thing I find most fascinating here is the idea this was originally supposed to be something in Busiek's extraordinary, underrated JLA run. I am still wondering what was supposed to be in it were it not cut short. The Cosmic Egg, for instance, is still out there, as is the fact the Crime Syndicate owes the JLA a favor.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:10:05 AM »

The only even-mildly disappointing tidbit for me is:
I don't want to see Clark ... be the butt of Steve Lombard's wacky practical jokes

I was generally amused by Steve Lombard, especially when he tried to play jokes on people and ended up with egg on his face thanks to Supes.  It'd be nice if he re-appeared in some recognizable form.  I have this vision of him being like Fred Willard from the movie Best In Show.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:23:23 AM »

I'd like to see him return as an ex-football jock who's actually a really nice guy and good friends with Clark.

Maybe even give him a wife and kids.  A family-man type.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 04:34:37 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
I'd like to see him return as an ex-football jock who's actually a really nice guy and good friends with Clark.

S!

I really liked the story in the early 1980s where Steve Lombard was fired, and consequently he had to "grow up." A lot of interesting things were done with the characters in the late seventies to early 1980s, my all time favorite was Lois no longer WANTING to be Superman's girlfriend.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »

Remember when Clark was fired and got a Job in Steve's sports store? Halcyon days.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L