superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Crisis: The Novel  (Read 11813 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 04, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »

I have no idea whether or not this has ever been mentioned anywhere, but I was very surprised to learn that there exists a novel of Infinite Crisis, written by Greg Cox.  A friend of mine just got ahold of an advance review copy and is in the midst of reading it.  He says that it's the same story as the comic - mostly Superman, Batman, and Wonderwoman with the E-2 Supes and Earth-Prime Superboy - but he thinks the author added his own take to the characters and events.

I still wonder if Elliot Maggin is getting royalties for the use of Superboy Prime, or if the reason DC radically changed the character was to side-step the issue.

The lone review at Amazon claims that the book is an "action-packed science fiction thriller that is a direct tie-in to the movie."  :shock:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0441014445/theamalgamatronA/

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »

WOW there's gonna be a movie, too???
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »

As if the immortal Crisis on Infinite Earths movie really needed a sequel. Cor, those Amazon people are lazy.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:54:30 AM »

As a kid, a friend of mine told me that my favourite comic book Teen Titans was being made into a movie.  Iwas very excited until I saw the commercial for Clash of the Titans (then I was excited that my favourite Greek myths were being made into a movie).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:27:54 AM »

I can see an INFINITE CRISIS movie.

Joaquin Pheonix would make a wonderful Alex Luthor. I can imagine him, with his usual hurt eyes, when asked to explain himself, say, "I'm just like my father: the only hero on a world full of villains."

I struggle to think who would make a good Power Girl, but jeez, it ain't like Hollywood is exactly suffering from a blonde shortage.

I can't think of a way that Wonder Woman's invisible jet wouldn't look terrible in CGI - what, they put a PREDATOR-style CGI effect, shake hands, and call it a night?

And is it just me, or does every single live action version of the Flash look super gay?

One interesting theme about INFINITE CRISIS that I did like was the idea that you can behave badly and it is still possible to redeem yourself if you choose to behave heroically; a very Englehart or Busiek-esque theme. If you think about it, the villains of the story insist that the DC characters are broken goods: Superboy-Prime when confronted by Hal Jordan says "You're the worst of them all." Even Conner himself finally makes the choice towards heroism, despite his Luthor heritage.

There was a Busiek introduction to a book once, where King Kurt said something to the effect, when confronted with heroes behaving badly like Hal's DUI: "They're heroes, people. Don't worry, they can bounce back."

And for the most part, the DC Trifecta of Superman Batman and Wonder Woman did just that in the series.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:23:06 AM »

An "Infinite Crisis" movie? Geez, as if the movies weren't cruddy enough lately as it is... :-)

>>
And is it just me, or does every single live action version of the Flash look super gay?

Cool! We need more gay super-characters...  Pied Piper, Northstar, and Maggie Sawyer alone aren't cutting it. Unless, of course, you meant "gay" as a dubious synonym for "bad"... :-p

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 02:01:38 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Cool! We need more gay super-characters...  Pied Piper, Northstar, and Maggie Sawyer alone aren't cutting it. Unless, of course, you meant "gay" as a dubious synonym for "bad"... :-p

No, I meant "gay" as a synonym for "flaming homosexual."

The only way live action Flash could have looked gayer if his costume was pink, not red.

And there could stand to be a few more gays in comics...as long as they're not written by Steve Englehart in NEW GUARDIANS. My Swan, "Estrano" was an embarassing stereotype to all involved. Did you know "Estrano" is Spanish for "Queer?" And then there was the way he insisted on being called "Auntie."

NEW GUARDIANS was the closest Englehart ever came to compromising his own great legacy.

Steve's collective apology to the gay community was in the pages of STRANGERS...if you'd like to read about an interesting gay superhero story, check out that one. It was done with dignity and intelligence, everything NEW GUARDIANS didn't have. There was one subplot about his boyfriend dying of AIDS that was especially tragic.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Vic George 2K6
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

I think the John Wesley Shippe Flash costume from the short-lived 1990-91 TV series is less "homo-erotic" than the needlessly emphasized Batman costume(s) from Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

VIC GEORGE, Westfield, MA, USA
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L