superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widely disliked ideas about Superman that you like?  (Read 24816 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 12:52:52 AM »

Widely disliked ideas about Superman that I like. When I think of "widely disliked ideas" I tend to think of things people who dislike Superman in general dismiss him for like his morals, his power levels, his costume, and his disguise. All of which I enjoy very much. I'll address some of the ideas that have been posted already.

Super-costume: It should be nearly indestructible. Besides, wouldn't you want that if you spent alot of time going into burning buildings, being shot at, moving at high velocity and being covered in various forms of alien energy and slime?

Kryptonians: I think it should be limited to The Phantom Zone and Kara for the most part but with some wiggle room. Krypton should be a dream and a memory that is always kind of in sight but just out of reach for him. Sure he can have a module or crystals with Kryptonian history but nothing too interactive. It's a world and a family that he will never know. That's the tragedy of it. I've also always thought the writers were shooting themselves in the foot when they have him find out too much about Krypton to start with. I think it would be intresting if Krypton were like a puzzle he was trying to peice together.  The culture, the language, why what happened happened. Through the course of his life and career he gets bits a peices of it. To start with he should only have like a single message from Jor-El and Lara telling him his name and that he is the last. For Kara I like the STAS sleekness of having her be from a sister world. So you get all the simplicity of the "supermans cousin" version while still having him be the last son. It boggles my mind that DC looked at that they only took from it the costume and slapped it onto Linda whatsherface. It's right there! You can have your cake and eat it to! He can be the last son and you still have a Supergirl that makes sense!

Super Pets: Something I've enjoyed in regards to the animated incarnation of Krypto is that the way it's set up you can sort of take it or leave it. His origin is very clearly tied to STAS but at the same time you don't see Krypto on JLU. Krypto has Kevin which I think is a wonderful touch.They kind of have their own cartoony corner where they have fun adventures. Superman still shows up and there's that link. He's still a Superman's best friend. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with cute and playful concepts such as this but I kinda prefer they sort of have their place or at least are not a constant presence. But I'll also admit to gettin kick out of stuff like having Poison Ivy open a door and there's Krypto floating with his heat-vison eyes ready to go or harrassing Catwoman with doggie licks.

Bizzaro: Again I gotta go with the animated series stuff. He's a clone, there's only one of him and he's not actually evil yet at the same time still dangerous as he is Superman's power without a stable intellect to guide it. Also like the STAS version I want him to have some form of childlike personality but not the extreme backwards talk of the recent comics version or the other extreme, the blank monster of Ross's Justice series.

Super-Smarts: I don't think he should be a super genius but I do think that he should always be shown as excelling in areas that would fit his experience and expertise. I'm thinking his skill as a investigative reporter, I'd imagine he would have a very developed intrest in astronomy, I also have always seen him as someone who knows every language and can communicate with anyone fluently.

Batman and Superman: Friends: These are two of the greatest heroes ever. They would be friends. Why? Because neither one is so blatantly stupid, ignorant, and full of themselves that they would treat the other as an enemy. That's not to say they wouldn't maybe have differing point's of view on things, but I also think that Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent would be able to hang out with each other without needing to be in dramatic tension mode 24/7. Bruce would buy Clark a root-beer float and they could talk as buds.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 04:46:04 AM »

Super-costume: It should be nearly indestructible.

As Superman is special amongst all the other super-heroes, so his costume is special amongst all the other costumes. Of course it should be indestructible, and it should be made from Kryptonian material. Anything else is rubbish.

Krypton should be a dream and a memory that is always kind of in sight but just out of reach for him. Sure he can have a module or crystals with Kryptonian history but nothing too interactive. It's a world and a family that he will never know. That's the tragedy of it.

Very well put.

Batman and Superman: Friends: These are two of the greatest heroes ever. They would be friends. Why? Because neither one is so blatantly stupid, ignorant, and full of themselves that they would treat the other as an enemy.

I agree they would never treat each other as enemies in the world we know. But lately I've been reconsidering their suitability for chumsville, and I am thinking Green Lantern (the real one, Hal Jordan) is a better close buddy for the Man of Steel than Batman. Of all the versions (eras) of Batman through the decades, there aren't many who could be a special buddy for Superman.

Super-Smarts: I don't think he should be a super genius but I do think that he should always be shown as excelling in areas that would fit his experience and expertise. I'm thinking his skill as a investigative reporter, I'd imagine he would have a very developed intrest in astronomy, I also have always seen him as someone who knows every language and can communicate with anyone fluently.

Yes, I agree, more or less. The man has cosmic knowledge and understanding. He has seen things we can only imagine. He is widely-travelled to an extreme, both on Earth and in outer space. He is extremely intelligent, a cut above the rest of us, except for maybe Luthor.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:57:32 AM »

I prefer "Super"man. For some reason, readers like seeing more man, than Superman. The other day, I watched TAS Vol 1. Superman struggled with airplanes falling in Metropolis or basic deductive reasoning skills. Give me Superman tossing planets and hyper-fast-organized-synapses. From what I read, Iron Age Superman is the archetype. While I understand why DC marvelized Superman, it sort of negates Superman's fantastic powers, sad.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 02:59:08 AM »

Regarding Superman and Batman's relationship.... Mutual respect for each other, yes of course.......differences of opinion on how they handle situations, naturally......but I really don't see them as friends in the sense of being buddies and hanging out together
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »

Quote from: Kuuga
Widely disliked ideas about Superman that I like. When I think of "widely disliked ideas" I tend to think of things people who dislike Superman in general dismiss him for like his morals, his power levels, his costume, and his disguise. All of which I enjoy very much. I'll address some of the ideas that have been posted already.

Super-costume: It should be nearly indestructible. Besides, wouldn't you want that if you spent alot of time going into burning buildings, being shot at, moving at high velocity and being covered in various forms of alien energy and slime?

Kryptonians: I think it should be limited to The Phantom Zone and Kara for the most part but with some wiggle room. Krypton should be a dream and a memory that is always kind of in sight but just out of reach for him. Sure he can have a module or crystals with Kryptonian history but nothing too interactive. It's a world and a family that he will never know. That's the tragedy of it. I've also always thought the writers were shooting themselves in the foot when they have him find out too much about Krypton to start with. I think it would be intresting if Krypton were like a puzzle he was trying to peice together.  The culture, the language, why what happened happened. Through the course of his life and career he gets bits a peices of it. To start with he should only have like a single message from Jor-El and Lara telling him his name and that he is the last. For Kara I like the STAS sleekness of having her be from a sister world. So you get all the simplicity of the "supermans cousin" version while still having him be the last son. It boggles my mind that DC looked at that they only took from it the costume and slapped it onto Linda whatsherface. It's right there! You can have your cake and eat it to! He can be the last son and you still have a Supergirl that makes sense!

Super Pets: Something I've enjoyed in regards to the animated incarnation of Krypto is that the way it's set up you can sort of take it or leave it. His origin is very clearly tied to STAS but at the same time you don't see Krypto on JLU. Krypto has Kevin which I think is a wonderful touch.They kind of have their own cartoony corner where they have fun adventures. Superman still shows up and there's that link. He's still a Superman's best friend. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with cute and playful concepts such as this but I kinda prefer they sort of have their place or at least are not a constant presence. But I'll also admit to gettin kick out of stuff like having Poison Ivy open a door and there's Krypto floating with his heat-vison eyes ready to go or harrassing Catwoman with doggie licks.

Bizzaro: Again I gotta go with the animated series stuff. He's a clone, there's only one of him and he's not actually evil yet at the same time still dangerous as he is Superman's power without a stable intellect to guide it. Also like the STAS version I want him to have some form of childlike personality but not the extreme backwards talk of the recent comics version or the other extreme, the blank monster of Ross's Justice series.

Batman and Superman: Friends: These are two of the greatest heroes ever. They would be friends. Why? Because neither one is so blatantly stupid, ignorant, and full of themselves that they would treat the other as an enemy. That's not to say they wouldn't maybe have differing point's of view on things, but I also think that Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent would be able to hang out with each other without needing to be in dramatic tension mode 24/7. Bruce would buy Clark a root-beer float and they could talk as buds.

I fail to see how any of these ideas are "widely disliked." In fact, not only are none of the things you point out widely disliked, I don't think any of the things you mention are even moderately controversial.

Show of hands here - is there anyone that thinks Superman and Batman shouldn't be friends? Anybody? Even the most hard-assed Frank Miller fan understands that the reason DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was so effective a story, was that it was a shocking reversal from the way things usually are.

Busiek's been using Super-Intelligence for some time now, and the universal response is a type of curiosity, and marveling at the over the top feats that his brain makes possible. How - just HOW - is this "widely disliked?"

As for Superman's Super-Costume being indestructible...I like the elastic, super-stretchable cape with the secret compartment as well, but I find it hard to believe anyone sees this as being important enough to be hard-assed about...either for it or against it. It's KINDA cool, I suppose. Maybe I should start a thread that says "Superman ideas you like that other people are mostly indifferent to?"

Quote from: Kuuga
But I'll also admit to gettin kick out of stuff like having Poison Ivy open a door and there's Krypto floating with his heat-vison eyes ready to go or harrassing Catwoman with doggie licks.

Any writer that actually does this should burn in hell forever.

Suspension of disbelief for a fantasy world like Superman's, is like a house of cards. I would not compare having Krypto harass Catwoman with doggy licks to a careless card. I would compare it, though, to hitting the house of cards with a rocket launcher.

Quote from: Aldous
I agree they would never treat each other as enemies in the world we know. But lately I've been reconsidering their suitability for chumsville, and I am thinking Green Lantern (the real one, Hal Jordan) is a better close buddy for the Man of Steel than Batman. Of all the versions (eras) of Batman through the decades, there aren't many who could be a special buddy for Superman.

Neil Gaiman is several steps ahead of you there. He developed the idea that Superman and GL would have a bond.

I think pointing out Hal as "the real Green Lantern" sells short a lot of interesting characters. Steve Englehart in the 1980s, with his usual unpredictability, didn't bring Hal back and instead told stories with John Stewart, and he successfully set John up as a heroic character in his own right. Reading those issues now, Stainless made John so much fun, I didn't WANT Hal back. Ditto for the Englehart story arc where freaky space monster Salakk became Pol Manning!

I've often pondered the suitability of Batman and Superman together as well. It made sense, sort of, when they were DC's top two properties, but come the Bronze Age, when Batman was given an "outsider" characterization whose province was the weird and unusual, he lived in a whole different world than Superman did, and having them team up together and be bestest buddies would make as much sense as Superman being chummy with the Phantom Stranger.

I'm not saying they should be rivals, as they were in the 1980s-1990s. Jamespup hit it right on the money when he said that there's mutual respect, certainly, which is not quite the same thing as friendship.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:54:21 AM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »

I fail to see how any of these ideas are "widely disliked." In fact, not only are none of the things you point out widely disliked, I don't think any of the things you mention are even moderately controversial.

Have you ever been to a board full of Iron Age superman fans? They hate all those ideas!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »

Quote from: SuperMonkey
Have you ever been to a board full of Iron Age superman fans? They hate all those ideas!

I've never been to a board that exclusively has just Iron Age fans, but I have been to a few boards with a reasonable cross-section of fans by generation and age, from teenagers to baby boomers...and fan opinion on many things is much more diverse than I think you believe it is, especially since they've got guys like Busiek doing things like super-intelligence in an enormously entertaining way.

The harcore Byrne/Helfer/Wolfman partisans are getting rarer and rarer with each passing year, and as I mentioned to Gangbuster Thorul a while back, even among people that are fans of this variation on the character have found that after all this time, they're hungry for something different. The character was exhausted just like all versions inevitably get near the end.

Obviously I can't summarize opinions, which vary wildly (get two comics fans in a room you get four opinions), but for the most part  the response I noted to the return of many classic Superman elements, e.g. Superboy, a Kryptonian Supergirl, etc. was a kind of hesitant curiosity.

The lowest kind of discussion on the internet is going back and forth about what words mean, but...what exactly does it MEAN to be an Iron Age fan, anyway? Because I know ridiculously few people that are exclusively fans of comics from 1980 on. Even the Mark Waid loving kids I see at the comics store that only buy new comics have at LEAST read the Byrne/Claremont "Dark Pheonix Saga" or the Lee/Ditko SPIDER-MAN. I knew one diehard Canadian Kyle Rayner fan that, when asked his favorite comic, pointed to the sixties Roy Thomas AVENGERS from "Kree-Skrull Wars" to the introduction of Ultron and Hercules.

And Iron Age fans are RIGHT to hate the Super-Pets. Like I said, suspension of disbelief is a house of cards and the pets are a giant blowtorch.

As for me, I'm a fan of BOTH Hal Jordan AND Kyle Rayner. What does that make me?

I don't think you're EITHER a classic comics fan or an Iron Age fan...and it's possible to have a wide diversity of opinion as to what from what age works.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »

Julian, read my darn post. As I said, I was addressing some of the things that *other posters* had already mentioned. These are not my own ideas of what I think is widely disliked. I really could not think of anything to specific. As I said at the beginning of the post, mostly of what I thought of were things that people who don't like the character commonly dismiss him for and I mentioned those. I'm sorry if you feel I wasn't on topic enough.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L