superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonA Tale of the Golden Age SupermanHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widely disliked ideas about Superman that you like?  (Read 24671 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »

The lowest kind of discussion on the internet is going back and forth about what words mean, but...what exactly does it MEAN to be an Iron Age fan, anyway? Because I know ridiculously few people that are exclusively fans of comics from 1980 on. Even the Mark Waid loving kids I see at the comics store that only buy new comics have at LEAST read the Byrne/Claremont "Dark Phoenix Saga" or the Lee/Ditko SPIDER-MAN. I knew one diehard Canadian Kyle Rayner fan that, when asked his favorite comic, pointed to the sixties Roy Thomas AVENGERS from "Kree-Skrull Wars" to the introduction of Ultron and Hercules.

As for me, I'm a fan of BOTH Hal Jordan AND Kyle Rayner. What does that make me?

What does it mean to be an Iron Age fan? Well, I imagine it's someone who started reading comics after 1986(?) forward. As an example, during Infinite Crisis, some readers designated Kal-El "our Superman". I guess he's Superman you are most familiar. I know some people, with fervent passion, hate Return to Krypton and Birthright but love Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen.

Hal vs Kyle fan feuds crack me up. If you read GL from beginning to end, it's a wonderful epic. Although I'll admit, Hal's story became more multi-sided.

I really like the following: Superboy in Smallville with Lex, Superboy in Legion, and later Superman the 1st Superhero.         

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »

Julian, read my darn post. As I said, I was addressing some of the things that *other posters* had already mentioned. These are not my own ideas of what I think is widely disliked. I really could not think of anything to specific. As I said at the beginning of the post, mostly of what I thought of were things that people who don't like the character commonly dismiss him for and I mentioned those. I'm sorry if you feel I wasn't on topic enough.

Okay, my bad. I must have misinterpreted you there.

And for the record, I hate those guys that always urge people to stay on topic. It's the nature of discussion - on the internet and elsewhere - to skeebabadoodle everywhere. You start talking about the Flaming Lips's best albums and you end up chatting about THE EWOK ADVENTURE.

Quote from: Michel Weisnor
Hal vs Kyle fan feuds crack me up. If you read GL from beginning to end, it's a wonderful epic. Although I'll admit, Hal's story became more multi-sided.

Nothing in comics was nastier than the Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner fights back in the day. It was the Civil War, brother vs. brother. If I never see another Kyle vs. Hal fight, it'd be too soon.

They almost approach the nastiness of the Moore/Connery Bond fights. ALMOST.

I blame this entire mess on Ron Marz. I'm all in favor of bringing in some interesting new GLs, but he could have created a new character and not done it in a way that was profoundly alienating.

And as always, my estimation of the incredible Geoff Johns, currently DC's greatest writer along with Busiek, is elevated. I will admit, until Johns, I wasn't a Kyle kind of guy. But Johns made me enjoy the character and understand he has a place in the scheme of things. He brought Hal Jordan and the GLC back, but he did so in a way that Kyle Rayner had a role and his fans weren't slighted - an act of admirable professionalism from a man that, by all accounts, personally didn't like the Kyle character.

In other words, Geoff Johns, unlike the Civil War, ended with everybody being happy.

It reminds me about long-standing discussions about the role of writers. People often say, "the role of the writer is to ignore what they like and use what they don't like."

My response is, "NO. You're wrong. A writer doesn't get to do that working in a universe created by others. He has to use what he likes...and what he doesn't like too. That's the difference between a fan and professional." This is why CRISIS and other such events irk me. Writers shouldn't have the option to hit the ERASE button...even on really terrible stories.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 03:34:40 AM »

How did an innocuous tongue-in-cheek comment about a character I like, the Silver Age GL.....

Green Lantern (the real one, Hal Jordan)

.....generate all this:

I think pointing out Hal as "the real Green Lantern" sells short a lot of interesting characters. Steve Englehart in the 1980s, with his usual unpredictability, didn't bring Hal back and instead told stories with John Stewart, and he successfully set John up as a heroic character in his own right. Reading those issues now, Stainless made John so much fun, I didn't WANT Hal back. Ditto for the Englehart story arc where freaky space monster Salakk became Pol Manning!

Nothing in comics was nastier than the Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner fights back in the day. It was the Civil War, brother vs. brother. If I never see another Kyle vs. Hal fight, it'd be too soon.

They almost approach the nastiness of the Moore/Connery Bond fights. ALMOST.

I blame this entire mess on Ron Marz. I'm all in favor of bringing in some interesting new GLs, but he could have created a new character and not done it in a way that was profoundly alienating.

And as always, my estimation of the incredible Geoff Johns, currently DC's greatest writer along with Busiek, is elevated. I will admit, until Johns, I wasn't a Kyle kind of guy. But Johns made me enjoy the character and understand he has a place in the scheme of things. He brought Hal Jordan and the GLC back, but he did so in a way that Kyle Rayner had a role and his fans weren't slighted - an act of admirable professionalism from a man that, by all accounts, personally didn't like the Kyle character.

I don't know what all that stuff is; but honestly, Julian -- take your Valium.  Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 04:21:10 AM »

It's all pointless anyway, since everyone knows that the real Green Lantern is ...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 04:44:25 AM »

It's all pointless anyway, since everyone knows that the real Green Lantern is ...

You must've overdosed on bananas or something.

This is Green Lantern:

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 05:52:58 AM »

Them fighting words

see what happens here:
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/274/gl40p1.gif
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:57:47 AM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Marbles
Superman's Pal

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »

Superbaby

Or, for that matter, super powerful babies in general.

There's just something about a mischievous tyke with near infinite power—

"'Shazoom'?!  Vas ist das 'Shazoom'?!"

Superduperman, from Tales Calculated To Drive You Mad #4
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Re: Green Lantern prefs.

I've always been an Abin Sur man myself.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L