superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: copyright restrictions in photographing people in SM suit???  (Read 3403 times)
Christian
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: October 07, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »

I am thinking of doing some photography of some people dressed up as superman and other characters in everyday situations.  Might be used as cards, calender etc....  Does anyone know what the copyright implications of this are.  Would I be likely to be able to do this, or would I need to check with copyright owner (who ever this may be) of the 'character' superman???
thanks
Christian
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 02:54:46 PM »

It depends, do you plan on selling it?

If you make any money off of them then you must check with copyright owner of the superman which is DC Comics:

here just download this: http://dccomics.com/about/dcc_randp.pdf

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:38:07 AM »

If you ask, they'll say no.  It's dilution of a trademark.....they keep their hands tightly around that S shield.....

Good luck though. Sad

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Christian
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:01:25 AM »

Thanks all,  Yes that doesn't surprise me.  I would want to keep options open to selling calender etc.    I think might be safest to get suits made in a generic 'superhero' style.  Wonder how different they need to be?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:36:23 AM »

Quote from: "Christian"
Thanks all,  Yes that doesn't surprise me.  I would want to keep options open to selling calender etc.    I think might be safest to get suits made in a generic 'superhero' style.  Wonder how different they need to be?

You want to not use the S! logo anywhere, and change the colors. That should be enough.

Like this one, clearly based on Superman, but different enough that DC won't care enough to sue:

http://www.unomaha.edu/wwwmath/POW/superhero.gif

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L