superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the comics - which one to get?  (Read 3747 times)
faunablues
Superman Fan

« on: October 10, 2006, 03:03:47 AM »

I just started getting into the old Superman comics, and I want to start getting one of the new ones... but I don't know which to choose. There seem to be three - Superman, Superman All Stars, and Action Comics.

Which would you recommend the most, and why?
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 03:13:07 AM »

For older comics, I recommend picking up the two Showcase Presents Superman volumes, the Superman in the [insert decade here] trades, the Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told, and the ones posted on this site.

For newer comics, I suggest picking up the Up, Up, and Away trade paperback, Allstar Superman, the latest Action and Superman issues, Secret Identity trade (imaginary story), Superman For All Seasons, and the Trinity trade paperback.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:23:01 AM »

I would recommend All-Star Superman, for the simple reason that there are only 5 back issues that you would have to get before you're caught up. The Up, Up, and Away TPB would also be a great buy (so as to give props to our own Kurt Busiek) Smiley

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 04:40:39 AM »

For old school Superman comics of course you should get the amazing Showcase Superman Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and if you like those go ahead and get the Superman Family one as well.

The Original Greatest Superman Stories ever told is all Pre-Crisis comics other than the token Bryne crap at the end.

Superman in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's are all must haves.

Superman in the 80's have over 100 pages of Early pre-Crisis Superman comics, but the rest is utter crap. If you can find it very cheap perhaps it's worth getting.

New comics:

Superman For All Seasons is considered to be the best post-Crisis Superman comic ever.

Secret Identity isn't about Superman but it's related and well worth getting.

All-Star Superman is the best Superman comic right now, but it is set in it's own universe.

All the Post-IC Kurt Busiek Superman Comics are worth getting.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »

I'd like to add Superman: Birthright to SuperMonkey's list, which I felt was a great retelling of Superman's origin. It's a good time to start buying the regular titles, Superman and Action, because they're rebooting the character a bit and seem to be getting rid of a lot of stupid bits of continuity and restoring the better aspects of the story.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »

If you can afford old issues of Action Comics and Superman, and are so inclined, I would very highly recommend that you concentrate on the periods circa 1962-66, and 1971-75 - of which most stories have never been reprinted (the Showcases and Archives haven't reached these spans yet) - which are my favorite periods, and I say this as someone who has nearly all of them between 1961 and the early 1980s, and two or three dozen earlier comics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L