superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:56:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curt Swan Inkers...  (Read 14388 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 09, 2006, 07:45:23 AM »

Administrator's note:  this thread has been split from this one.

Just reading this saga again (actually looking for reference shots for a new painting I'm doing) and WOW... Swanderson at their peak never fails to amaze me
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »

Quote from: "davidelliott"
Just reading this saga again (actually looking for reference shots for a new painting I'm doing) and WOW... Swanderson at their peak never fails to amaze me

I feel exactly the same way about Swanderson. At their peak they are unequalled.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:21:08 AM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Quote from: "davidelliott"

I feel exactly the same way about Swanderson. At their peak they are unequalled.

I actually used to prefer Swan inked by Tex Blaisdell, Bob Oksner or Frank Chiaramonte, but looking back at these comics, the Swanderson thing is really starting to grow on me. I used to dislike the little shading lines Anderson put everywhere because I felt they were a bit punctilious, but now I really like them.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:15:42 AM »

Well - if you ask me (you didn't, but what the hell) - Bob Oksner was my favorite Swan inker.  His inking really brought out something in Swan's pencils, particularly in Superman.  It's like Supes is radiating with power.  That is easily my favorite Superman.

But - Swanderson is a good second place.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »

Quote from: "Criadoman"
Well - if you ask me (you didn't, but what the Heck) - Bob Oksner was my favorite Swan inker.  His inking really brought out something in Swan's pencils, particularly in Superman.  It's like Supes is radiating with power.  That is easily my favorite Superman.

But - Swanderson is a good second place.

Oksner is my second-favourite inker for Swan, or maybe ties for second place with Klein.... But, then, Oksner's art is beautiful with or without Swan.
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:31:26 AM »

I dunno... Bob Oksner was an awesome inker, but in my opinion he "weighed" down Swan's pencils.  BUT I think in a lot of ways he was very similar to Swan.

Oksner's women were beautiful.  I had a crush on his Mary Batson/Mary Marvel.  She was cute beyond words (how pathetic is that?)... his Lois was awsome, too!

Swanderson still rules... Anderson's inks were clean and crisp over Swan's art... really smooth and the best inker for him
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »

Of all the inkers who inked Swan on more than a handful of occasions, my favorites are, in order: Murphy Anderson; George Klein; Bob Oksner; Dan Adkins; Dave Hunt and Frank Chiaramonte.

I never really cared for Philip (Tex) Blaisdell's inks over anyone else's pencils, let alone Swan's, but at least he is a darn sight better than the appalling Vince Colletta, who, as well as being a dreadful inker often rubbed out details put in by the pencillers.

I am reminded of the letters of complaint sent into DC when Mike Royer replaced Colletta as Jack Kirby's inker.

Some readers were unhappy because Royer supposedly added details - of his own accord - that did not normally appear in Kirby's art (as inked by Colletta), but unknown to them, Colletta often erased background details, whereas Royer didn't!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:56 PM »

Oh, I quite agree there; Colletta was awful. I suppose he only got jobs because he worked fast.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L