superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Linked Events
  • Action Comics Annual #10 out: February 07, 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Offical... the Iron Age Superman is DEAD... Long Live the Post-IC Superman!  (Read 19106 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 02:15:15 AM »

What happened to the Fortress of Solitude on that cover?  It looks like it collapsed like so many toothpicks!  Where is the big door and keyhole?
Superman got his new Fortress in Action 840:

http://superman.nu/tales4/sunstone/

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 03:13:16 AM »

I read those first 4 pages..

Fortress in the Amazon???

Also, why do the comics need to adapt from movies, rather than the other way around?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 03:59:45 AM »

Also, why do the comics need to adapt from movies, rather than the other way around?

Well, movies do take the characters and lots of points from comics, but comics have decades of history, and movies need to get in two hours of a story and advance their plot points...

In this case, it is sad to see the Superman built fortress "museum" go, but selling comics these days is different...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:53 AM »

Fortress in the Amazon???

There have probably been others, but here are the ones I can recall off the top of my head:

Golden-Age Superman: Secret Mountain Citadel;
Silver-& Bronze-Age Superman:  Fortress of Solitude constructed inside a mountain in the Arctic; Undersea Fortress;
Iron-Age Superman: Underground Fortress of Solitude in the Antarctic (mid Iron-Age); Fortress-in-a-hyper-tesseract-sphere (aka T.A.R.D.I.S. because it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside - late Iron-Age; constructed by John Irons) in the mountains of the Amazon;
Post-IC Superman:  Fortress back in the Arctic, but now grown from a Kryptonian crystal.

I also seem to recall something about a Fortress in the center of the Sun, but that may have just been a Grant Morrison moment.

As far as what metal to name this new Age after, I've been giving the matter much thought.  I believe a pronouncement shall be coming soon.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 04:25:10 AM »

Late-late Iron Age?

Post-Iron Age?

Clay Age?

Aluminum Age?

Silicon Age?

Temporary Suspension of Bad Taste on the Part of DC coinciding with the hiring of a few good writers Age?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 05:43:53 AM »

Copper Age... perhaps...

Well, I knew the Golden Age and Earth 2 Supermen had their Fortesses in the moutains near Metropolis.  It just seems that Superman, since then, would have his Fortress in the Artic.

Now, also, what I was getting at as well is the fact that when a movie or TV show comes out and features a comic book character, the movie/TV show gets incorporated into the comics.  Always happens...

Examples:

New Look Batman comes in '64 and the stories were more realistic.  Ywo years later, the Batman show premieres and the comics become campy and reflect the series.

The Flash gets a series and in the comics, the costume is updated to relect the TV show costume...

Movie Superman's Crystal Krypton gets adopted into the comics.

There's more, but I'll leave it at that.  Yeah, there's stuff from the comics that's incorporated (that's a given) but when the comic book canon is corrupted for years because of a movie, well I think that's wrong

But that's me
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »

Well, the idea of an Iron Age Superman is misleading since there never was a real Superman during the Iron Age.

The title should have said "Superman Returns!" but that was already taken.  Wink

Administrator's Note: Iron Age discussion has been split to to a new thread.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:21:35 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 08:04:41 PM »

a return to greatness...

That's a direct quote from the splash page of "Superman Breaks Loose" (1971).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L