superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:30:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Took the "Super" Out of Superman?  (Read 7452 times)
shazamtd
Superman Family

« on: February 12, 2003, 10:48:54 AM »

I was wondering if you had any rough idea when the rest of this stoy will be posted.  Smiley  S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 10:08:17 PM »

I'm about half-way through page nine of Part Two.  Once that's done, it'll be smooth sailing.

The initial delay between Part One and Part Two was caused because I took a rest after finishing Part One, but then other things came up that caused the entire project to be on hold for about a year or so.  Pages 1-8 of Part Two have actually been done for quite a while now.  I had initially planned to wait until all of Part Two was finished before I put them up, but I decided it would be better to just get things moving.

These next few pages are a bit more difficult than the rest, mainly because in addition to all of the "Special Edition" clean-ups, I'm also touching-up Lois's dress so that it will fit Lombard's restored line of dialogue.  In the comic as it was published, Steve had a line, "New outfit again?", that was originally intended by the author to be "Same dress as yesterday?" on page 13 after Clark and Lois's late-night dinner date.  So instead of Lois having all different outfits up until page 13, she's going to have the same outfit in all of them, as Elliot S! Maggin originally intended.  (Aside: This sort of enforced editorial re-write seems to have happened to Elliot a lot.  The events around Chapter 14 of his Kingdom Come novel were almost identical, although in that case it was Superman and Wonder Woman who were censored, instead of Clark and Lois.)

Getting back to Who Took the Super Out of Superman - see http://superman.nu/tales2/whotook/aboutspeced.php for some more info and some sample panels of what I'm talking about.  Lois's dress in those first three sample panels at the bottom of the page has been touched up to match the last panel.  Notice that in all of them, it's now the same green dress.

Page nine is probably the most complex of all of them, with the most Lois - so once that one is finished, things will start to speed up again.  To answer your question as best I can - Page Nine could probably be finished up in a few hours of work - it's just a question of when I'll be able to find the time :-)

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 12:49:25 PM »

Thank you for the update.  I didn't expect all that info but I do appreciate it.  I look forward to seeing the finished product.   Cheesy  S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 10:59:57 PM »

I'm glad you spoke up! Here's the rest of part two:

http://superman.nu/tales2/whotook/2/?page=1

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L