superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redirects  (Read 4408 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: October 19, 2006, 12:00:53 AM »

Is it safe to assume that these should be avoided?

I still kind of favor an approach where only a select few add these, as well as new categories etc., with questions brought up here...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:04:55 AM »

They should be avoided. Some people were abusing it. I cleaned up the Supermanica of all the crazy double and triple redirects.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:33:03 AM »

Yeah, redirects take up separate pages...its possible to do links much more easily...

For example, it you want to link The Spectre to Spectre of Earth-2, just enter it as -- [[Spectre|Spectre of Earth-2]] in the entry...

This is just me, but I think everything would work out best if we felt free to add entries, add info, edit sentences when they need it, but leave organizational edits like categories and redirects to the Council of Wisdom or you, since you have admin powers and are at the site all the time...too many grand editors can spoil the broth...just my opinion... Cool
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:12:18 AM »

An edit is better than a redirect 99 imes out of 100.

I've never been tempted to redirect anything.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »

I sometimes put in redirects so that when people search for something using the search box, they will find it.

For instance, right now if someone searches on "The Spectre", they don't get the page about the Spectre.  But if there was a re-direct to the Spectre of Earth-2 page, then their search would return a result.

I agree that articles should not link to the redirect pages, but I think that redirects should be used to help people find our obscure name for something commonly known by some other term.

This is why I have Jor-el redirect to Jor-El - Wikis are partially case sensitive, so this was the only way that a search on "jor-el" would go to his page.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:35:15 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 03:39:10 AM »

smart!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »

That would be the correct way of using it rather than to fixed their own spelling errors like some people were using it.

Please double check all your entries before posting.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L