superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Linked Events
  • Ark II on DVD: November 07, 2006
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ark II  (Read 7456 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 20, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »

Does anyone here remember the old TV kids show, "Ark II"?  It's coming out on DVD November 7th and I'm thinking about picking up a copy.  I remember seeing comic-book ads for the show back in the 70s, but I never managed to catch an episode.    I've always been curious about it and the idea finally seeing it is pretty tempting - but not if it won't hold up after all these years.

I like the idea of a super high-tech RV travelling the post-apocalyptic ruins of the planet, attempting to restore civilization and ecological responsibility. It appeals to the Roddenberry fan in me.

Plus, I figure it's hard to go wrong with a talking monkey.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IU37UC/theamalgamatronA/

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:09:07 PM »

I was a little old for the series and not around on Saturdays, what impressed me most was the vehicle itself, the episodes were kind of slow-moving compared to the premise, but I figured that had something to do with the budget for the show...yeah, there was a talking chimp, I forgot...

I think I liked it better than "Starlost", which ran in the early evening, the budget really made that one a "talker"...

http://www.tv.com/the-starlost/show/4869/summary.html?q=Starlost&tag=search_results;title;0
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »

As a kid I loved Starlost, but when I went back to watch the show as an adult I thought it was absolutely horrible.  If Ark II has any smilarity at all with Starlost then I'm keeping far away from it.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:45:04 PM »

Its was for a younger audience, lots more outdoor scenes and simpler stories...but I think I may have only watched 1 or 2 shows.

Starlost really shut me down with the acting and the week by week slog through the spheres that made up the ark...and it did look weird to have a sci fi drama on videotape rather than film...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 01:15:16 AM »

Ark II had superior production values but the post-apocalyptic setting was really some fields around LA. Very similar to the Shazam tv series from the same time period except with mutants and primitve villagers instead of toubled teens and petty thieves.  Like a more white-washed version of Lost-in-Space or the Planet of the Apes tv series.  And not as plodding as Starlost.  I can hardly remember it, actually --it was at the end of the Saturday morning cycle, when cartoons gave way to live action and then to sports and fishing shows, with the occasional Tarzan movie.  These more "adult" shows were the clue for kids to go outside and play, I think.  Now I'm curious to see it again.  There must be something on Youtube...

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:29:55 PM »

Well, at least ARK II wasn't as guilty as the crimes against color theory that the Sid and Marty Krofft productions were, with those white jumpsuits.

Is it possible that some shows just attract weirdoes? Because I have never, ever met anybody that was a fan of ELECTRA-WOMAN AND DYNA-GIRL, who didn't immediately set off my pervert alarm.

ELECTRA-HAI!

The saturday morning show I'm most pleased just hit DVD was the Filmation 1970s SPACE SENTINELS a while back, mostly for their leader, an afro-clad black woman that can change shape.

Funny you should mention Gene Rodenberry because didn't his unaired series, GENESIS II, have the same basic concept?

Does anyone know what MAGMA was about?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »

Funny you should mention Gene Rodenberry because didn't his unaired series, GENESIS II, have the same basic concept?

I don't know, I haven't seen Ark II yet, but I hope it's better.  GENESIS II was about one guy who went in suspended animation in the 1970s with a specific mission to go to the future.  Civilization rose and fell around him, until he and his mission was completely forgotten about, and all the infra-structure that had been created to support him and his mission was gone.  He doesn't get revived until sometime in a post-apocalyptic future when he is accidently stumbled upon during some sort of earthquake or something.  No talking Chimp; no high-tech RV.  Just pockets of bizarre societies.  The group that revived him were a bunch of female scientists who kept men as pets.  The show was somewhat like Planet of the Apes or Kamandi, but without any talking animals.  It was horribly boring and nigh-unwatchable.  Made The Questor Tapes look like high art.

davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »

Has Space:1999 ever been released on DVD?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L