superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viewmaster - Mighty Mouse & Superman  (Read 7944 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: October 21, 2006, 11:58:23 PM »

I was thinking about the old Viewmaster my brother owned when we were young kids. From what I remember, there was a little blurb to read before you looked at each set of pictures, and when you looked -- wow! Illuminated 3-D images.

The Viewer was lost decades ago, and I think a younger sibling thought it amusing to poke out all the little plastic pictures from the discs.

I always remembered two Viewmaster strips I liked. I'm positive this is one of them (random images from the net):

I remember that cover very well, and I believe the story started with a baby mouse being left anonymously (anonymousely?) on a kindly couple's doorstep.

The other was of course a favourite, and was a Superman story with beautiful pictures involving a bank robbery, maybe Lois, and Superman ripping open a bank vault door..?

I would get a kick out of seeing these again, but I don't know if they make the viewmaster anymore, or if any of the old reels would be reissued. They're a relic of the past no doubt, and very tame compared to what kids have now. In my childhood they were something special.

I think we may have touched on the subject briefly years ago on the old DC boards.

I don't suppose anyone else owned that Superman one?
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:37:48 AM »

I used to own a Viewmaster of some Disney film, perhaps The Aristocats, though I can't really remember, and a very boring one of Monuments of Italy. There were some others, but I can't call them to mind right now.

If you have some cash to spare, I'm sure you can find old Viewmaster reels (or whatever you call them) on the Internet, provided you can bear the irony of using modern technology to get hold of obsolete stuff. I'd be very surprised to learn that they still make Viewmasters; since the birth of my nephews, I have spent a lot of time in toy shops (hey, any excuse), and I certainly can't recall seeing them. Let's face it, a Viewmaster isn't really going to compare with videogames.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:39:32 AM »

I wish...

I loved my Viewmaster, I had a lot of old reels and a viewer from Sawyer, before they were taken over by GAF (Fisher-Price still makes the brand today)...

One thing I noticed on my "cartoon" reels like Tom and Jerry etc. was that the characters were usually made out of three dimensional plastic or clay...was that true in the Superman reels?
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »

I had the Superman one when I was a kid.. IIRC it was Filmation style cartoon pictures. The cover had a scene of Supes flying and letting a lightning bolt hit his chest to save an airplane...

There's one on ebay and this is the picture I got...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:36:27 AM »

They still make them, one of my favorite toys as a kid.

http://www.fisher-price.com

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 04:16:10 AM »

Unfortunately, the genius who molded those Viewmaster models for many reels, including Dracula, Peanuts, Dinosaurs, etc, never got around to a Superman in the "clymation" style.  Superman is available only as a cartoon version and as Christopher Reeve.  The woman sculptor (and a male assistant, I think) was quite talented and the those reels in particular give you the feeling that you are entering a bizarre 3-dimensional fantasy world that looks like you can reach out and touch it.  There are some other live action superheroes: I believe Adam West is immortalized in 3-D, as well as Linda Carter and a variety of 70s features from Krofft like Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.

It is possible to buy a vintage camera with 2 lenses that allows you to take your own Viewmaster pictures --it is a simple matter to take apart a worthless modern reel and insert the slides of the new pictures you have taken to create your own Viewmaster reels.  This way, using your own models, action figures or friends, you could create new Superman adventures.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:39:29 AM »

There are also these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JNDPTG/theamalgamatronA/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GK9ZXW/theamalgamatronA/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:35:34 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:34:45 PM »

I wish...

I loved my Viewmaster, I had a lot of old reels and a viewer from Sawyer, before they were taken over by GAF (Fisher-Price still makes the brand today)...

One thing I noticed on my "cartoon" reels like Tom and Jerry etc. was that the characters were usually made out of three dimensional plastic or clay...was that true in the Superman reels?

Not with the Superman one I remember. To my ten-year-old eyes, the images were captivating all the same.

What were those very early attempts at moving pictures called? Nickelodeon? Do I have the right word? I'm thinking of the device where you put your eyes to the viewer and crank a handle... Anyway, the Viewmaster sort of had that feel about it, that you were peering (peeking) into another world, maybe a secret world. Maybe kids of yesteryear were easily impressed, but it definitely had that quality about it. You could feel transported.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L