superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics Creators = Musicians?  (Read 12117 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »

Wow, a word filter...must have come with the new forum software, amybe Rao can turn it off, I can't think of a forum that uses less profanity than here.

True, only Julian acts like a drunken sailer sometimes. As long as he can control himself, I can't think of anyone who uses a lot of profanity. But you know, we are all adults here and if you still think there is such a thing as bad language, you need to mature and grow up!

However, this IS a Superman board, so there is no reason to potty mouth poopyhead Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 10:05:25 PM »

The word filter was enabled back when we had an active member who made Grant Morrison look like, well, like Clark Kent.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 10:51:39 PM »

Wow.

In case anyone's wondering, the word "H.E.L.L.O" in my last post was changed to "Hecko" by this board's Prude-A-Tron censoring software.
Yup, the word that rhymes with "Yell" is very awkward word to write here and no fooling; it made it rather difficult to discuss the Phantom Zone seriously.

I wonder if the language filter works on the word "filch", or "filching"? That's the dirtiest word I know.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 04:48:27 AM »

I swear alot in daily conversation.  Alot.  But not here --I've slipped a few in but I'm a slow & sloppy typist and it turns out that when I'm concentrating on expressing myself textually I'd rather sacrifice authentically capturing my mode of conversation for clarity --or what passes for it in my posts.

Awhile back I wrote a comic review in a blog post and used the word that Sartre thought was other people.  It occured to me later that my review was one of the few (maybe the only) online for the book and since it was essentially a kids comic, I should retcon the word to the more folksy "heck".

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 06:05:54 AM »

George Carlin said - and I agree - that the wrong two Beatles died first.

Can someone please explain what that's supposed to mean? Unless it's the obscure product of a brilliant mind, I call it pathetic. Is it an attempt to be clever? It failed.

Nightwing,

Lennon is much like JFK in that they were both complete fakes. Lennon was a gifted pop musician, but as a man he was always a phony. You've really given him a critical lambasting, but I do quite like some of Double Fantasy (his half anyway). He always struggled without Paul to make popular music, but he still had some minor successes through the 70s.

Lennon would never have become a "happy" anything, because he was one of the most miserable whingers who ever lived. He could hardly open his mouth without complaining bitterly about something or everything.

When I hear Lennon and "peace" mentioned in the same sentence I want to strangle the son of a b.i.t.c.h. who said it. Forget his financial support of terrorists and assorted pinko whackos, this is a guy who would come home from a "peace" march and beat the snot out of his wife.

The Kirby vs. Lee argument sometimes goes far too far. Stan Lee was a very very good comic book writer.

JulianPerez:
with George honored but his contributions not being recognized

His contributions have most certainly been recognised. He was a vital component of the group, and his music speaks for itself.

pointing to George as being the driving force between the Beatles success.

The "driving force"? Julian, forgive me, but I think that's ridiculous.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 06:28:34 AM »

Note that Julian said George was the driving force between the Beatles' success.

This means that the Beatles would have a huge success - like Sargeant Pepper; then another huge success - like The White Album.  Well, between those two successes - when there was absolutely no success at all - that's when George was the driving force.

But we know who the driving force really was:

Seriously, as the Beatles themselves said:  Without all four of them, it isn't the Beatles.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 06:34:28 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »

Note that Julian said George was the driving force between the Beatles' success.

This means that the Beatles would have a huge success - like Sargeant Pepper; then another huge success - like Abbey Road.  Well, between those two successes - while there was absolutely no success at all - that's when George was the driving force.

Seriously, as the Beatles themselves said:  Without all four of them, it isn't the Beatles.

Then he should have said "successes". I noted his use of "between" and I wasn't quite sure exactly what he meant after reading it twice. Undecided  As he wrote it, it doesn't quite make sense. And, knowing Julian's command of the language, he did it deliberately. (I could be wrong of course.)

In my opinion, George was never the "driving force".

Without all four of them, it isn't the Beatles.

That is absolutely correct, and that's why I said: "He was a vital component of the group".
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 06:51:28 AM »

But we know who the driving force really was:

Rao, you added that pic after I posted my reply........ And there is only one possible rejoinder: You have too much time on your hands.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L