superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adv Superboy Special#1 question  (Read 6722 times)
Enda80
Superman Fan

« on: October 24, 2006, 12:52:03 AM »

http://superman.nu/tales3/last/?page=36

Some of you may remember a Superboy tv show that ran from 1988 to 1992. (I met the Luthor of that show recently.) Anyway, when Warner Bros. sued the producers so they could get the Kryptonian tv rights back, they had a close out written by "Stan Berkowitz" which served as an epilogue one supposes.

Anyway, much of the story in that special represents a reverie or imagining of CK, but the end of the story has him in the diagetically real*
part of the story revealing something to Lana Lang. In the link I posted above, you can see that it mirrors Man of Steel#6 (a pin-up acknowledges the inspiration).

So, do the other diagetically real parts of the story represent an appearance by the mainstream Earth Kent?

*as opposed to historically real

http://www.amazon.imdb.com/name/nm0075487/
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:55:29 AM »

One of the many reasons that I really like this story is that it explains that the Superboy TV series (and the tie-in comic book) were in reality all short stories written by the Post-Crisis, Earth-DC Clark Kent. Even though there was never an in-costume Superboy in the DCU, Clark still created the character and used his private Superboy stories as a forum in which to play out his own thought processes.

So before he revealed his powers to Lana in Byrne's Man of Steel and in Loeb/Sale's Superman For All Seasons, he had come to the realization, through his Superboy stories, that he had to do it.

In short, to answer your question, yes, I believe that the other diagetically real parts of the story do show the "mainstream" Earth Clark.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:00:20 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Avilos
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:47:32 AM »

One thing in that special did not fit Post-Crisis. That Clark was wearing Glasses when he revealed his powers to Lana and before he was Superman. So its place in continuity was always a little dubious to me.

But interestingly due to recent revelations of Kurt Busiek that Special fits much more smoothly into the current continuity than it did before. That due to sightings of a "mysterious super-boy of Smallville"  Clark did need to wear glasses before he was Superman.

I have been wondering recently of versions of the Superman mythos that feature Clark wearing Glasses before he had a costumed identity. Suggesting a proto-secret identity due to the need to disguise his physical perfection. Glasses suggest a phyiscal flaw.

The examples I am aware of are

Adv Superboy Special#1
The Pilot episode of Lois & Clark
The flashback scene in Superman Returns
The current "New Earth" continuity, first revealed in Superman #656
The Pilot episode of Legion of Super Heroes

Are there any others?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:43:29 AM by Avilos » Logged
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »

Some of you may remember a Superboy tv show that ran from 1988 to 1992. (I met the Luthor of that show recently.)

Ah, do you mean the diagetically real Luthor or the historically real Luthor?  Earth Prime Luthor?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »

Some of you may remember a Superboy tv show that ran from 1988 to 1992. (I met the Luthor of that show recently.)

Ah, do you mean the diagetically real Luthor or the historically real Luthor?  Earth Prime Luthor?

You kill me sometimes, you know that?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Enda80
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

Diagetically real means real in th context of the story. So if someone asks "Did the Ultra-Humanite really transfer his brain into a woman?", they mean diagetically real.

Historically real means it happened in the real world.
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »

I don't quite get all this... I just figure the Superboy comic and Series it was based off of was a parallel universe, like the Ultra Humanite reference.  Just because a plane of existence multiverse was merged in the Crisis doesn't mean they all were, IMHO
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »

Holy crap on a stick, I had no idea that this book even existed.

The hunt begins!

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L