superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Best Superman Horror  (Read 4485 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: November 01, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »

Meant to post this link yesterday --the 5 best horrific moments in Superman.
http://www.thehorrorblog.com/2006/10/30/five-favorite-scary-superman-moments

A great blog post I found with only one or two Iron Age choices.  And no, the most horrific moment is not Man of Steel #1.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »

Very interesting blog post. Thanks for finding it, TELLE! I've always argued that Superman is a character with whom many different kinds of stories are possible, including horror.

It's a shame the list wasn't longer, because all I can think of are all the things they left off: all the Silver Age stories about strange alien invaders about which little is known, who in one story could assume human form...

Another great horror story was an issue of DC COMICS PRESENTS featuring a Superman-Adam Strange team-up that had Rann haunted by the ghosts of Krypton, which I am surprised was left off.

They made a great choice with ACTION #399, no doubt. Some of you may remember that I talk about this story often.

Also: nice of the guy to give the PZ miniseries its props. The moment I heard this list existed, I already knew that Gerber would take the top spot.

But the blogger makes an interesting point: the brooding, introspective strangeness of Superman's behavior is really one of the scariest parts of all for that series. For that same reason, I always loved Maggin's Superman because occasionally, Maggin had Superman get frustrated an angry with crime...there were some battles Supes didn't wisecrack through.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:28:46 AM »

Thanks for finding it, TELLE!

You're welcome!

For that same reason, I always loved Maggin's Superman because occasionally, Maggin had Superman get frustrated an angry with crime...there were some battles Supes didn't wisecrack through.

Maggin is almost alone in writing Superman stories that included credible emotional episodes.  No one expects Superman's emotional life to be "normal" --meaning that he would have the same reactions as other poor or middle class white children raised in rural Kansas to horrific or insane events.  Rather, as someone who was raised as an invulnerable moral paragon, he would have more complex or illogical (to us) reactions to certain human relations involving romantic love, lust, and relations with his parents (both sets).  Hence we have some great sequences where Clark/Superman is easily reduced to infantilism when confronted with a version of the uber-father (Jor-El) and forced to deal with the somewhat Freudian dynamics involved.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 08:51:06 PM »

There were some horrific Weisinger-era tales.  "Superman's Mystery Power," where Superman feels threatened by a miniature duplicate of himself, is one.  It isn't really horror but it's a pretty spooky story.

Then there's the one where he has a third eye in the back of his head - it was such a horrific concept that I don't believe it was ever even shown in the story.  The eye was only referred to.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:35:11 AM »

The tiny Superman story is unnerving but the "Third Eye" story is so scary I've only ever heard it referred to! Smiley

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:41 AM »

From the way the blogger described it, that Phantom Zone story sounds like Dante's Inferno. Superman even encounters a being like Satan and has a guide in Quex-El. I need to find this series.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 09:45:01 PM »

Another notable one is "The Jungle Line," Alan Moore's one-issue run on DC Comics Presents. First of all, it had Swamp Thing in it, but secondly it featured Superman wandering around, looking for a place to die.

Any of the stories over the years in which Superman was dying ('Superman's Last Day of Life, The Death of Superman, etc.) are horrifying in my book. I would also count "The Man Who Murdered the Earth")

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L