superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Return of Supergirl  (Read 13246 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: October 25, 2006, 10:03:44 PM »

Administrator's Note: This thread has been split from this one.

I haven't read much of the "new" Supergirl... just that she is Kal-El's cousin, Kara...

I kind of like the idea of the "hero-worsipping" aspect of Kara in her first decade.  It's like you've found your long lost cousin... seen him do great things and he's your ONLY connection to your family (yeah, I know Zor-El and all were in the Survival Zone, but Kara and Kal didn't know that).  You would have a real bond to that person and look up to him and emulate him.  It's natural.  I have an older cousin that I emulated til I became my own man.  My step-son has an uncle he emulates.  There's a bond.  Kara surely felt that bond with Kal-El.

I never cared for the portrayal of Power Girl, especially in the '70's.  It was like "I'm Superman's cousin, but I can't stand him". I hope the current incarnation of Kara Zor-El isn't the same as Kara Zor-L.

BTW, wasn't there a Supergirl story a few years ago that was ANOTHER Kara who came to Earth and met the Matrix Supergirl?  What happened there?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:23:07 PM by Great Rao » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »

I haven't read much of the "new" Supergirl... just that she is Kal-El's cousin, Kara...

I kind of like the idea of the "hero-worsipping" aspect of Kara in her first decade.  It's like you've found your long lost cousin... seen him do great things and he's your ONLY connection to your family (yeah, I know Zor-El and all were in the Survival Zone, but Kara and Kal didn't know that).  You would have a real bond to that person and look up to him and emulate him.  It's natural.  I have an older cousin that I emulated til I became my own man.  My step-son has an uncle he emulates.  There's a bond.  Kara surely felt that bond with Kal-El.

I never cared for the portrayal of Power Girl, especially in the '70's.  It was like "I'm Superman's cousin, but I can't stand him". I hope the current incarnation of Kara Zor-El isn't the same as Kara Zor-L.

BTW, wasn't there a Supergirl story a few years ago that was ANOTHER Kara who came to Earth and met the Matrix Supergirl?  What happened there?

Yes, and it was written by Peter David, who while he wrote it all rather tongue and cheek, came a lot closer to the real deal than the current Power Girl clone.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:52:32 AM »

Yes, and it was written by Peter David, who while he wrote it all rather tongue and cheek, came a lot closer to the real deal than the current Power Girl clone.

I too was rather fond of the Peter David Supergirl.  Great little book.  Too bad DC screwed with him towards the end.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:27:40 AM »

There was.  I enjoyed it.

There are reviews (and a TPB collection for sale) here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401200850/theamalgamatronA/

any further discussion of this story should take place in the Supergirl section.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:58:07 AM »

Thanks, Rao... I was already thinking of posting something in the Supergirl forum on it... I don't want to get too far from the original topic in this thread!
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »

I too was rather fond of the Peter David Supergirl.  Great little book.  Too bad DC screwed with him towards the end.
i liked the Pter David series...the only thing that got annoying about it was before/during or after issue 5o they took the animated series and put it on Linda.....i didn't like it..i liked her better with the Matrix outfit..

DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:22:41 AM »

Administrator's Note: This thread has been split from this one.

The latest version is quite enjoyable in Waid's Legion of Superheroes, but it's a completly different story in her own title. In that title she has already abandoned Kandor to Ultraman & Saturn Queen, repeatidly ignored Kal's signal watch while he was powerless, and has apparently killed her own mother after Zor-El goaded her into it.
LadyStyx
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »

Ho Boy, continuity comic-book schism at action Grin!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L