superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Return of Supergirl  (Read 13248 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 02:18:55 PM »

Though her current writer has a more enthusiasm than talent, I enjoy the current Supergirl series a great deal at least in concept. This Supergirl certainly contains a great deal more of the spirit of "classic" Supergirl than my old pal Petey David's (never trust a man with two first names). When a future writer, perhaps with a greater gift for plotting and characterization takes over, look for the Loeb Supergirl character to flourish.

I can think of far more similarities between the Loeb character and "Classic" Supergirl than any other version - apart from the obvious stuff about a streamlined origin (which in and of itself is a breath of fresh air from "Supergirl as a matrix robot slash angel").

This Supergirl, like "classic" Supergirl was someone that was far more passionate (remember, when Super-Teacher tested Supergirl, she actually DID kill someone). Classic Supergirl was comfortable with being openly sexy: she had a modelling job for Christsakes (she didn't have immature Silverclaw-esque sex anxieties), she had her own career(s), her own home city, and her own aspirations - including the political.

Except for one important thing, the "Classic" Kara was actually a hero and not some self-absorbed, basket-case, who would turn over control of the last Kryptonian city to one of her cousin's worst enemies for a possible path to Argo or anything for that matter.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

It seems that you are more of a fan of the 70's and 80's Pre-Crisis Supergirl rather than the female Mon-El replacement that this new one is. It's clear that he is pattern after the current crop of Hollywood er.. "party girls", rather than trying to create an actual strong independent female Superhero. That was the last thing in their minds.

That's a sad fact if this is the case.

Again, I enjoyed the way Kara was written in Superman TAS. She was fun, yet resourceful and heroic. If 70s/80s Supergirl is where TAS interpretation originated, I'll definitely track down some back issues.

Please, suggest some Supergirl related stories from the 70s/80s. Thanks in advance.  Smiley     

All of these are from Daring New Adventures of Supergirl

The Supergirl factory and the two issues after it.(Daring Adventure 10, 11, & 12)

There was a sequel called the Stolen Secret Identity

Any issues dealing with the Gang or Matrix Prime

The issue that had Ambush Bug guest star.  He thought Supergirl was Superman.

I can not recall the issue, but there was one where Supergirl tracked down a group of thugs that had painted a swastika on an old woman's door.

The last two issues of Daring New Adventures of Supergirl

Supergirl has had a few supporting casts.  Midvale Orphanage, With the Danvers, when she was working at a newspaper, the college where she met Wanda 5, New Athens, Chicago.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »

See, I always thought that Kara having a wide-eyed innocence about her and looking up to her cousin did make her different from Superman. Superman's been on Earth for years and a lot of things about it and having super-powers he's used to because he's been here all of his life.

Kara is a young girl for whom this is all still fascinating. She's learning to adapt as she goes. Now I agree she would grow out of being so innocent, working her way to being much more confident in herself and her abilities rather like she was in COIE before her death, but I don't think she'd outgrow admiring her cousin. Sure maybe it wouldn't be quite the same as when she was younger, but it would still be there. Maybe less awe and more respect. But hey, she loves him. He's like her friend, her father, her inspiration all rolled into one.

I agree she has to have her own character but I don't see how looking up to her cousin undercuts that or makes her an appendange nor do I see how giving her buckets of Buffyesque attitude helps anything. The Kara In-Ze version I thought was close to sort of having a nice balance. She looked up to her cousin and what he did as Superman, but could also get frustrated with him for being over protective of her and resitricting her super activites at first.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 08:20:16 PM »

"never trust a man with two first names"

so....Bruce Wayne can't be trusted, Barry Allen neither

Clark Kent, with two LAST names...definitely CAN trust !!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L