superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Pre-crisis Superman Artists besides Curt Swan and Wayne Boring  (Read 36684 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: November 26, 2006, 09:08:37 AM »

There were many, so lets show a little love to the rest of the gang!

Kurt Schaffenberger is one of my personal favorites, he was a former Captain Marvel artist and created the look for the Silver Age Lois Lane, his version of Lois Lane was use as the model for all other artists during this time.

I am using his artwork as my Avatar.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:23:17 AM »

Amen to Kurt Schaffenberger... his artwork is like 7-Up.. crisp and clean!  Great facial expressions and a little cartoony withour going overboard!

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is also up there.. his Superman LOOKS 29, wheras Curt Swan's Superman always looked around 40.

Oh, Nick Cardy's covers get an honorable mention, too... very classic!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

I've had tributes up on my site for years now.  My faves are probably...

Nick Cardy:
http://nightwing.supermanfan.net/artists/sm-nickcardy.htm

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez:
http://nightwing.supermanfan.net/artists/sm-garcialopez.htm

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »

Garcia-Lopez certainly drew a very dynamic Superman, and his covers were usually arresting; more importantly, he also drew a very sexy Lois Lane, as evidenced by a Superman/Adam Strange team-up he illustrated once. (Was it an issue of DCCP? Not sure now.) I always thought of Nick Cardy as more of a cowboy artist, though - and there's no shame in that!

Schaffenberger is a favourite because he drew a rather homey, comfortable Superman, ideal for the backup stories we were recently discussing.

It's a bit perplexing that it's so hard to think of good Superman artists when so many have had a go at him; the 400th issue of Superman rather showcased how few artists could really do him. I have to admit a certain fondness the Al Williamson story in that issue, but to be honest, that's because his version of Superman looked a lot like Swan's; I also like Miller's depiction (yeah, I know) in DKR. One of my favourite pictures of Superman was drawn by Gene Colan, in Jemm, Son of Saturn.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:27:17 PM »

more importantly, he also drew a very sexy Lois Lane, as evidenced by a Superman/Adam Strange team-up he illustrated once.

Anyone who could make Lois look sexy back in those days when she wore a Moe Howard haircut is by definition a master artist.  Scratch that, a magician.

But while Supes wasted his time on Lois, I'd have been moving in on Dr Klyburn.  Rowrrr!

Some of my favorite art jobs on Superman were done by guys who just worked on the books once or twice, so I don't know if they belong on this list or not, but here goes:

- Joe Kubert (a chapter in JLA #200 and a great team-up with the Demon in DCCP. Plus that great Vietnam war cover!)

- George Perez (for the OMAC team-up in DCCP, a cameo in Teen Titans and various issues of JLA)

- Keith Giffen and Wally Wood on Earth-2 Superman (All-Star Comics)

- John Buscema on "Superman and Spider-Man" (the 2nd crossover tabloid)

Jim Starlin's version also had an odd appeal to me.  The guys who bugged me were the ones who could never draw the "S" worth spit:  Jim Mooney, Dick Dillin and Mike Sekowsky (though his JLA-model Superman had its appeal).

Oh, and you know what?  Dick Sprang was a fair hand at Superman, too.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:00:29 AM »

Sprang did do a good job...

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superart/supermanart.htm
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 07:07:11 AM »

George Perez did an issue of DC Comics Presents which featured Superman and OMAC and it was one of the best issues of that title ever and one of my favorite Superman stories ever - the story was a simple time traveler from future out to kill someone from the past (this was before the Terminator movie if I am right) but the art was simply spectacular.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:59:36 AM »

davidelliott:
Oh, Nick Cardy's covers get an honorable mention, too... very classic!

An "honorable mention" is probably right; although, I will always think of Nick Cardy as a Superman artist, even though I don't have any Superman comics drawn by him. He was and is my favourite cover artist, and he is the best cover artist in the history of super-hero comics. I loved his work decades before I ever knew his name.

But to get back on topic, a couple of favourite Superman artists of mine are Leo Nowak (Novak) on Superman, and John Sikela on Superboy in particular (and Superman as well). It's hard to explain why I love their work. Partly it's because of the amazing energy they present to us on the comics page. I don't own many works by these two artists, but those I have are treasured.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L