superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Pre-crisis Superman Artists besides Curt Swan and Wayne Boring  (Read 36683 times)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »

The 1st one that come stop mind is Al Plastino. Take a few minutes and just think of all the classic stories he drew. Seriously, make a list, and you will be amaze to find that some of the most important stories were drawn not bu Curt or Wayne, but good old Al! 1st ever Kryptonite story and 1st time Superman finds out he is from Krypton, Al drew it. 1st Supergirl story, Al drew it and co created her. 1st Legion story, that's right good old Al! 1st time Superman fights evil kryptonians, that's right Al! 1st brainiac story and co-created him at that. Same with Metallo! And the list goes on and on and on, so please lets give him more credit and show him some love. BTW, he about 85 and still very much alive.

Even though many fans consider Jim Mooney THE Silver Age Supergirl artist, I somewhat prefer Al Plastino's original Kara Zor-El as seen in Action Comics #252.  (Seen at http://superman.nu/supergirl/introducing/ , of course.)   Wink
Mooney's Supergirl was a bit too "dewy-eyed" for my tastes, even when she WASN'T going *choke*, *sob*.   Wink

Compare these two nearly identical retellings of Kara's origins, particularly their depictions of Supergirl:

Al Plastino --

http://superman.nu/supergirl/introducing/?page=2 (I particularly love Kara's portrait in the last panel.)

http://superman.nu/supergirl/introducing/?page=3

http://superman.nu/supergirl/introducing/?page=4

Jim Mooney

http://superman.nu/tales3/greatest/?page=58 (Compare Linda's face in panel 4 to Plastino's close-up.)

http://superman.nu/tales3/greatest/?page=59

http://superman.nu/tales3/greatest/?page=60

Comparing their faces, Mooney's Kara has softer features and larger eyes for a more "innocent" and "sentimental" look.  His Supergirl actually appears slightly younger than 16 years old in this story.  Plastino's sharper cheekbones and general demeanor seem appropriate for an older teen ready to take on the role of Supergirl -- see the very last panel of http://superman.nu/supergirl/introducing/?page=8 and you can detect Kara's general self-confidence despite her inner qurestions.  And in the previous Plastino close-up, you can easily see her winning charm in Kara's eyes and smile. 

It's a pity that Al Plastino didn't draw more Supergirl adventures, but at least he was the one who started Kara's long journey.  And for that, I'm very grateful.

DTO
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »

JulianPerez writes:

I absolutely love Ross Andru's take on the character, but only post-1978 or so when he returned from his stint on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. When Ross Andru returned to DC, it was absolutely nothing compared to what he was before: he combined his polish with Marvel and Kirby-style action and dynamism. Ross Andru's Superman was handsome and powerful and magnificent to watch, and his women always wore the finest fashoins. Ross Andru's finest work had to have been on those Superman/Spider-Man team-up digests.

Well Julian we long ago agreed to disagree on Andru's version of Superman, but you should know that some facts have come to light in recent years regarding "Superman vs. Spider-Man."  Namely, the fact that Neal Adams went in and re-drew a great deal of Andru's pencils on that book.  This was revealed by Dick Giordano (who inked the book) a couple years ago and confirmed again in the new "Krypton Companion."

Giordano did say he regretted letting this "secret" slip, as it implies Andru was somehow sub-par.  And he added that Neal did his best to draw "Andru style," with that quirky anatomy and bizarre foreshortening Ross was known for, but in the end much of it is Neal's work.

It's also hinted that another artist (Romita? I forget) tweaked some of the Spidey images.

This looks like a job for...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »

Neal Adams has some "bizarre foreshortening" of his own.

I feel I must put in a good word for Ross as some of my favourite comics are drawn by him. When I was a kid I loved him on "Amazing Spider-Man" when it was being written by the great Len Wein. Sometimes Ross's art was perfect for a certain type of comic, and that's the most any reader can ask for.
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »

If we're going all the way back to the Golden Age (and why not?), then I have to put in a vote for Jack Burnley, one of the greatest to ever work on Superman or Batman.

Jack Burnley is my favorite Golden Age Superman (and Batman - along with Dick Sprang) artist. He and Al Plastino are apparently the only two living Golden Age Superman artists.

Relatively recently, on another message board a poster mentioned that he thought that Burnley's work very much reminded him of my all time favorite Superman artist, Curt Swan, and, on thinking about it, I agree with him!

The quirky Wayne Boring is also another one of my favorites.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »

Quote from: nightwing
Well Julian we long ago agreed to disagree on Andru's version of Superman, but you should know that some facts have come to light in recent years regarding "Superman vs. Spider-Man."  Namely, the fact that Neal Adams went in and re-drew a great deal of Andru's pencils on that book.  This was revealed by Dick Giordano (who inked the book) a couple years ago and confirmed again in the new "Krypton Companion."

Giordano did say he regretted letting this "secret" slip, as it implies Andru was somehow sub-par.  And he added that Neal did his best to draw "Andru style," with that quirky anatomy and bizarre foreshortening Ross was known for, but in the end much of it is Neal's work.

Interesting. I don't deny this story is true, however...it's a stretch to interpret this as Andru being an uninspired artist with weird anatomy that is made readable by Adams and others touching him up.

Also I can't get out of my head now the mental image of Adams and Romita pulling a "Shoemaker and the Elves" by jumping out of the closet when Andru leaves at night, and finishing his pages, all to the tune of Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies."

Quote from: Sword of Superman
My vote are for Gil Kane an Garcia-Lopez,their dynamic Superman is second to none!

I'm with you on the incredible Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, and I don't think enough people mention how great he was at capturing expressions and faces, and what a wonderful, playful sort of sense of humor he had.

Kane on the other hand...Gil Kane is one of the greatest adventure artists that ever lived, but when he tried to write Superman as well as draw, the result was embarassing. A whole while back, I called Gil Kane's 1983 Superman Special "the worst Pre-Crisis Superman story ever." And as inevitably happens to artists that write their own stuff (Kirby comes to mind here) when he plotted his own comic, Kane's art got lazier and far less detailed and busy.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 12:02:48 AM »

And as inevitably happens to artists that write their own stuff (Kirby comes to mind here) when he plotted his own comic, Kane's art got lazier and far less detailed and busy.

Actually Jack Kirby plotted most of his old marvel comics. Jack just wasn't very good with words, but his ideas however were some of the greatest ever, he just couldn't write dialogue to save his life. However, that said, in some ways his dialogue was so over the top and weird that it was actually fun and cool, I mean let's face it he is fun to quote Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »

I've tried to like it, honestly I have, but frankly, I find Kane's art deadly boring.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Sword of Superman
My vote are for Gil Kane an Garcia-Lopez,their dynamic Superman is second to none!

I'm with you on the incredible Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, and I don't think enough people mention how great he was at capturing expressions and faces, and what a wonderful, playful sort of sense of humor he had.

Kane on the other hand...Gil Kane is one of the greatest adventure artists that ever lived, but when he tried to write Superman as well as draw, the result was embarassing. A whole while back, I called Gil Kane's 1983 Superman Special "the worst Pre-Crisis Superman story ever." And as inevitably happens to artists that write their own stuff (Kirby comes to mind here) when he plotted his own comic, Kane's art got lazier and far less detailed and busy.
Julian i forgot to mention the Neal Adams Superman,another good interpretation,i agree with you about the story of Superman special by Kane,but i still remain of my opinion about is versione of the Man of Steel,maybe is not the best out there,but is still one of my favorit.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L