superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jor-El Through the Ages!  (Read 11615 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: November 28, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »

Added a new Jor-El picture to the Jor-El entry:

http://superman.nu/a/Encyclopaedia/jor-el.php

Here's the run-down so far

not including some of the really early ones
http://superman.nu/a/origins/1939.php?page=1
http://superman.nu/a/origins/1945/?page=2
http://superman.nu/a/origins/1949/?page=2

nor the All-Star Jor-El.

I like the beard on him.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:21:51 AM »

But he is "one of them".

Sometimes I think the writers forget that a little baby was brought up by his foster parents, and his name is Clark Kent, and Clark is "one of them". That's the whole point.

There is something entirely wrong with Jor-El addressing an adult Kal-El (I have always hated the idea); and it is just bollocks that he would say to this grown man, "You are not one of them."
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:40:38 AM »

But he is "one of them".

Sometimes I think the writers forget that a little baby was brought up by his foster parents, and his name is Clark Kent, and Clark is "one of them". That's the whole point.

There is something entirely wrong with Jor-El addressing an adult Kal-El (I have always hated the idea); and it is just bollocks that he would say to this grown man, "You are not one of them."

Are you implying that Richard Donner and Geoff Johns don't "get" Jor-El?  Are you disagreeing with "Superman: The Movie"?   Shocked

To be honest, I don't really like it either.  But when Marlon Brando said those lines, there was something awesome about them.  And I really like Jor-El's latest look.  Having the movie dialogue appear in an actual comic book, though, does make it clear just how wrong it is for the traditional version of the character.  It takes Superman's sense of alienation that increased all through the Bronze Age and brings it to an incredible new height that actually gives fodder to the Byrne Reboot argument.

For me that's a minor nit that's worth living with.  I like the movie interpretation of the mythos as well as the comic book ones.  I figure there are worse continuities that they could have chosen to use, the movie one has incredible elements.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:50:32 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »

Well, it is hard proof that the OYL-Superman is different than the Birthright Superman. For some reason people couldn't figure it out, now it is as plain as day.

Geoff Johns don't "get" a lot of things. But, the DC higher ups are in love with him now, his comics always sell lots of copies and that's all they care about, so what can you do?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:40:25 AM »

For me that's a minor nit that's worth living with.  I like the movie interpretation of the mythos as well as the comic book ones.

I like different interpretations of the mythos as well, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the movie. I really liked the first seasons of "Smallville". The mythos is open to interpretation, for sure.

I just don't think it makes any sense at all for Superman to be lectured by a big Jor-El head that he is not one of us.

You know what it smacks of? It's like Jor-El is trying to convince both Superman and the reader that Superman is not one of us, he's just the same shape (yes, read the panel).

But Superman, luckily, never really falls for it. Deep down he knows the score.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:05:34 AM »

I just don't think it makes any sense at all for Superman to be lectured by a big Jor-El head that he is not one of us.

Upon further reflection I've decided I really like this.  Just watch Superman the Movie again.  He's got a "special heritage."  Wink

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »

I remember my very first reaction to seeing Brando -- Wheres the hendband and red sun on his chest?!!
Why does Krypton look like James Bama's cover for a Doc Savage book - "Fortress of Solitude"Huh?

Where the heck is the Scarlet Jungle on the ice world of Hoth?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:52:15 PM by Klar Ken T5477 » Logged
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »

Regarding Jor-El's line about not being "one of them"...

In the first film, I didn't take it as Jor-El trying to be a wet blanket and make Superman feel isolated and lonely.  If that's what he intended, then he's an insensitive clod, given the fact that Lara worried so vocally about her little boy suffering that very fate. 

The way I took it, Jor-El was reminding Superman that he was meant for bigger things.  Pa Kent tells him he was "put here for a reason."  Jor-El is now helping him figure out what that reason was.  "They can be a great people...they only need the light to show them the way."  Superman has already learned from the Kents the importance of not using his powers for selfish, petty pursuits...this is just reinforcing that.  Jor-El is telling him to set a higher standard for himself (rather than squandering his powers on, say, sports or other bids for fame and fortune).

Of course, that was then and this is now.  With the reboot and 20 years of "Evil Krypton" in the books, the whole conversation can be seen in a different light.  Jor-El can come off as the embodiment of bad old, barren Krypton with its smug, cold-hearted race of snobs.  And when Kal-El goes against his dad's wishes to reverse time, it's like a rejection of Jor-El's beliefs and a decision to place his "humanity" above his alien heritage.  It's not so hard to see how Byrne might have taken it this way, and based his reboot on it.

Anyway, I'm pretty non-plussed by the reverence for the Donner film both in current books and the new movie.  Frankly it's not THAT good a film.

And for the record, I missed the comic book look for Krypton and Jor-El, too.  In fact it's safe to say I found the Krypton scenes to be the most disappointing part of the film.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L