superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Krypton in the Movies  (Read 4506 times)
Jor-El
Supermen of America

« on: November 30, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »

I must say that the movie was my first view of the planet Krypton, and i was quite impressed with the fact that it showed the planet as this crystalline heaven with classic British actors walking round in shining clothes.
Also the scene that shows the Kryptonians falling to their deaths still sends chills through my spine
What do you guys have to say about the movie version of Krypton ?

My world was destroyed and there were no other survivors who am i ?!?
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »

The movie version was my first view too,and after this all this time it's always one of my favorite(even if later the cold and almost steril version of the planet was distorted in comic book)and that's also because for me is the best rendition on movies of an alien world.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:19:18 AM »

It was fine, but I did not like the Christmas tree ornament look of the rocket.

This one looked better and was truer to the comic version:
http://superman.nu/wiki/images/b/b7/Krypton003.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »

It was fine, but I did not like the Christmas tree ornament look of the rocket.

This one looked better and was truer to the comic version:
http://superman.nu/wiki/images/b/b7/Krypton003.jpg

Super Monkey, the Griffith Observatory seen in that montage must have just opened (in 1935) when that movie was made.  After a massive four-year renovation and expansion project, the Observatory has recently reopened and is more popular than ever.  See http://www.griffithobservatory.org/

I've always wondered if Krypton-Prime as seen in DC Comics Presents #87 was influenced by the Superman movies.  See http://superman.nu/tales2/superboyprime/ , and note the Jewel Mountains in the background, especially the crystaline outcropping on the extreme left.

And even if you didn't care for the icy movie Krypton, at least it wasn't "Innerspace" Argo City from the Supergirl film!   Wink

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:20:09 AM »

Super Monkey, the Griffith Observatory seen in that montage must have just opened (in 1935) when that movie was made.  After a massive four-year renovation and expansion project, the Observatory has recently reopened and is more popular than ever.  See http://www.griffithobservatory.org/

Great Krypton! That's cool looking!

And even if you didn't care for the icy movie Krypton, at least it wasn't "Innerspace" Argo City from the Supergirl film!

of course...

I still like the Buck Rogers style Krypton the best.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:47:57 AM »

Actually, I didn't care much for the movie Krypton. I understand why they did it and that's fine, but part of the tragedy of Krypton's destruction is that this beautiful civilization was lost. I sterile planet that has matured to the point of chrystaline palaces is cool in other contexts but it loses something as a tragedy when there are no plants or colors. I think the best Krypton was probably the Birthright Krypton. It had a nice combination of the "Buck Rogers" style and still looked like a believable and appealing place to live.   
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:44:38 AM »

maybe the cold crystal krypton was just Antartic City (or whatever that place was called).

I liked the movie version but I also liked the crazy silver age version with all that weird stuff going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L