superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comic Book Urban Legends: Superman’s Rogues Gallery  (Read 7311 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: December 02, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: DC got the idea behind Brainiac from a “make your own computer” kit.

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Lex Luthor went bald due to an artist’s mistake.

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Joe Kelly did not originally intend for his Zod to be Russian.

Well, find out by reading the article:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/11/30/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-79/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:48:48 PM »

I knew about the bald Lex Luthor (which makes the insistence on his baldness as a contributory factor to his villainy even sillier), but the Brainiac thing was new to me! I didn't even know that there had been a rumour to this effect, but I rather relish it since I enjoy building computers myself; my flat's full of electronic stuff. I've never read any of the Russian Zod stuff, though.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »

I'm surprised about the "Lex Luthor being bald because of a mistake" rumor. I always assumed Lex Luthor became bald in order to duplicate Dr. Sivana. Though that ghost artist made a heck of a happy accident!

The Russian Zod stuff is not surprising, because there's absolutely no way something like that with so much build-up have an explanation that was quite so boring.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »

I always assumed Lex Luthor became bald in order to duplicate Dr. Sivana.

No, but it is the reason why they kept it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:40:45 PM »

Rats, I was hoping to hear that Luthor's floating head in the tree was because the inker couldn't see the pencil lines for the body.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:06:19 AM »

Rats, I was hoping to hear that Luthor's floating head in the tree was because the inker couldn't see the pencil lines for the body.

From what I've heard on these boards, Vince Colletta probably erased them.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 03:45:52 AM »

I knew about the bald Lex Luthor (which makes the insistence on his baldness as a contributory factor to his villainy even sillier)

I've said this before, but, in the original story, Luthor was changed in seconds from one person into another, and I suspect even he didn't realise what had happened to him. I've always thought those freaky chemicals (gases) dousing his skull did a lot more than make his hair fall out; that is, they affected his brain.

And you may have to accept this event as causing his villainy because Luthor's origin story was written by Jerry.

As to the "urban legend" of someone drawing the wrong figure leading to a bald Luthor, I'm not entirely convinced. No one will ever know for sure. E.N.B. said Joe loved depicting bald villains, and there's also the fact Luthor was the successor to the bald mastermind Ultra-Humanite.
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »

From what i always know,Luthor became bald because the artist confused him with the Ultra-Humanite(Someday one of you guys please can tell me the origin of such a weird name),and that's because at that time penciler din't have a character reference.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L