superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comic Book Urban Legends: Superman’s Rogues Gallery  (Read 7139 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:22:21 PM »

As far as I know, the artist confused Luthor with his henchman; ENB mentions this briefly in his introduction to Superman: From the 30s to the 70s (this volume, strangely enough, does not contain any encounter with the Ultra-Humanite).

I agree with you, Sword of Superman, that the Ultra-Humanite has a very weird name, and I wish I could tell you where it comes from; I like it, though, because it's really creepy. I guess it just means that his vast intellect has turned him into something more than human.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »

From what i always know,Luthor became bald because the artist confused him with the Ultra-Humanite(Someday one of you guys please can tell me the origin of such a weird name),and that's because at that time penciler din't have a character reference.

Here you go:

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superwhoswho/ultra-action13.JPG

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »

From what i always know,Luthor became bald because the artist confused him with the Ultra-Humanite(Someday one of you guys please can tell me the origin of such a weird name),and that's because at that time penciler din't have a character reference.

Here you go:

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superwhoswho/ultra-action13.JPG
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me Super Monkey!
The weirdness of his name for me is that when is translated in my language it doesn't work very well,because the word"humanite"in italian became the equivalent of "humanity",but maybe the significant of the name,when he first appear in our country,was better be adapted than instead really translated.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 03:54:39 AM »

I think Jerry intended the name to be quasi-Latin for "Beyond Humanity" since that what the character felt he was. Perhaps the editor decided it was too confusing for readers, because the last few Golden Age stories called him just "Ultra" for short.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L