superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meteorite's Organic Matter Older Than the Sun!  (Read 2571 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: December 02, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061130-meteorite.html

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »

That's interesting. But:

I find their use of the term "organic matter" misleading. The globules they are talking about are not alive and were never alive, and were never living cells. It's talking about the "building blocks" of life. (So does the related article through the link.)

I think they need another term for things they think could be used in the formation of life. Nothing in that article suggested to me they had found the remnants of life.

If anyone sees it differently, I'd be interested to hear about it.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:52:27 PM »

No, you're reading it right...there isn't even any specification of the organic chemistry.  Organic compounds do exist in the universe, but any finding in meteorites is immediately hyped as a possibility for the origin of life on earth because that's intriguing to people and leverages funding. Amino acids or simple proteins would be actually exciting.

Nevertheless, this recent article might go a long way in Cool explaining how dogs evolved on Krypton...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L