superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The worst Green Lantern comic ever produced.  (Read 4466 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: December 03, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »

Before I begin, let me just say I am a VERY big fan of Silver Age GL. One of my favourite characters. That's no secret. I don't have a complete collection, but I have an awful lot of them, and I like most of the comics right up till the March 1970 one.

But this one I just got ahold of. "5708 A.D. ...A Nice Year To Visit -- But I Wouldn't Want To Live Then!" (1969). It's truly awful. With John Broome writing, why is it so bad? It must be the weakest story he ever wrote. It could be the weakest story ANYONE ever wrote. And Mike Sekowsky (not my first choice for GL artist by any means) has done good work, but the art in this comic is ABSOLUTELY shocking! You'd have to see it to believe it. (Giella on inks.)

Yikes.

Must be the low point of the series (ANY series). I had to get that off my chest.

They had better to come after this issue, especially two of my favourite ones, No. 73 & 74 by Mike Friedrich and Kane & Anderson.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 07:34:37 AM »

Before I begin, let me just say I am a VERY big fan of Silver Age GL. One of my favourite characters. That's no secret. I don't have a complete collection, but I have an awful lot of them, and I like most of the comics right up till the March 1970 one.

But this one I just got ahold of. "5708 A.D. ...A Nice Year To Visit -- But I Wouldn't Want To Live Then!" (1969). It's truly awful. With John Broome writing, why is it so bad? It must be the weakest story he ever wrote. It could be the weakest story ANYONE ever wrote. And Mike Sekowsky (not my first choice for GL artist by any means) has done good work, but the art in this comic is ABSOLUTELY shocking! You'd have to see it to believe it. (Giella on inks.)

Yikes.

Must be the low point of the series (ANY series). I had to get that off my chest.

They had better to come after this issue, especially two of my favourite ones, No. 73 & 74 by Mike Friedrich and Kane & Anderson.

I've never read this issue, but the title makes for an amusing (if Bullwinkle-style bad) pun... disappointing to hear it might not live up to the pun. :-)

Besides, it can't be the "worst GL story ever"----believe the whole Parallax "saga" holds that title...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:36:52 AM by Johnny Nevada » Logged

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:30:19 AM »

It's really awful when great creators working on characters they've been on for years, start to go on autopilot.

Archie Goodwin had a metaphor about great creators, that they're sort of like dairy products: where you put them on a project, the cream rises right away. You skim the cream off, and then you're left with nothing but the milk. So you have to put them on another project for the cream to rise up to the top, and so on.

The all-time best example of the writers and artists being on the same book so long they run out of cream, would have to be Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky on JLA sometime after 1967.

In fact, I think I can identify the exact moment that Gardner Fox just stopped caring: it was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #65 (1968). This story, which incidentally was the first appearance of the android Red Tornado, features this exact line (I swear to God I'm not making this up or changing it around in any way, even the malapropistic sentence structure):

"The atomic energy in the clouds - plus the stellar radiations in my cosmic rod - have combined to animate those Egyptian god statues that were in the museum...and are attacking me!"

You can tell Fox's brain was on vacation for that one. You can just imagine poor Gardner Fox, face in his hands while he stares at his Hermes VII typewriter, thinking "Oh, crap, there should be an action beat here in this part, shouldn't there? Well, this'll shut up the little SOB's..."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 08:36:25 AM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 06:13:49 PM »

I think the entire late 1967 til early 1970 (the 1970 reboot) was one of the worst creative times for DC... oh and 1985 to 1995 (Crisis to Zero Hour) as well...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »

Marz
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »

Marz

What does that mean?
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »

Ron Marz was responsible for the Parallax saga and the even worse "woman in a refrigerator" crap that followed it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L