superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Praise of STAS  (Read 10335 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »

The only way they'd ever succeeded in making super-powerful Superman "work" in the context of a half-hour team cartoon was to make him REALLY stupid.  This scatologically funny site describes it best:

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/superman.htm

I didn't mind having him toned down a little.  Turning back time to end a blockbuster movie is one thing.  Turning back time (or some similar act of deus ex Supermachina) to end every other cartoon episode can make the whole Superman experience ho-hum.  It's hard to add suspense to a guy who, in pre-Crisis glory, could solve most of the world's problems before breakfast and have time to pitch at that charity softball game.

I did mind when an electric manhole cover was enough to stun Superman, or when we had to wear a stupid space suit and constantly relied on other scientists rather than invoke science on their own.  They erred on the side of making him a wimp a little too often, but they improved on that over time.  I decidedly -didn't- like how JLU ended, with Superman giving a big speech about how the world is like cardboard, doing some thunderous punches, but ultimately getting his butt kicked. 

Mercy Graves was pretty awesome.  Lex needed an entourage, and she's a more interesting villain than, say, Dumbsday.  I think it's neat that her voice actor has had the best post-S:TAS career of any of the DCAU, basically in an interesting power relationship with a mad scientist sort. 
OKITOMAGIC
Superman Fan

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

Hello to  all
Very interested in  view points  on  the  new DVD .
Does  it  need  the  PG-13 rating?
I  enjoyed  the dvd , as  well  as  the  extra's , and  I feel that it did need  the PG rating, cause of  good old DOOMSDAY'S killing people, as  well as  the  Toyman's "flight " with the clone
It  is  an  adult  animated  feature 
Best
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:23:12 PM »

Hello to  all
Very interested in  view points  on  the  new DVD .
Does  it  need  the  PG-13 rating?
I  enjoyed  the dvd , as  well  as  the  extra's , and  I feel that it did need  the PG rating, cause of  good old DOOMSDAY'S killing people, as  well as  the  Toyman's "flight " with the clone
It  is  an  adult  animated  feature 
Best

Last night, I watched Superman Doomsday and plan on posting a review. I'll give you a quick idea how I felt after the initial viewing. Superman #75 is a Silver Age comic compared with this Superman Doomsday movie..... On a positive note, the extras were great.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L