superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Praise of STAS  (Read 10106 times)
ILoveLucyLawless
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: December 04, 2006, 06:10:37 AM »

In praise, appreciation, and admiration of STAS, which I enjoyed much and presented Superman with a power level that was more identifiable, believable (for a biological natural organism), and dramatic. Any other big STAS fans here? I admire what Bruce Timm did.

Speaking of which, what were his power levels? I believe his flight was supersonic about that of a Concorde, a large enough conventional bomb could kill him and he had reduced invulnerability (good), and he could not fly in space and had to breathe. In any case, he could not even near escape velocity.

James Bond Loves Lucy
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »

Oh yeah, you can definately count me in here. Dini and Timm did an outstanding job on this show. I have very few complaints with this show at all. I kinda prefer to think of it as the real Post-Crisis Superman. ;p

His power levels in the show were left somewhat ambiguous. I kind of think of it as an ampted up version of the Fleisher powerlevels that incorperates flight, and vision powers. I liked that he was the guy who could get the ever lovin crap knocked out of him but he would still get back up. His invnerability may be what held him together but it was his unyeilding determination that would get him to his feet.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:12:31 AM »

Overall, it was enjoyable and definitely had some great moments.  I liked how they tied Braniac to Krypton more, how they brought Supergirl back, and the voice acting all around (Andrea Romano rocks!).  I didn't mind his power levels being reduced in the cartoon (though I never cared for gas-mask-to-breathe Superman).  The comic book rendition of the show was better than any of the mainstream Superman comics at the time, and kept me a fan through really dumb Iron Age crapola.

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »

Their version of Brainiac into the Krypton backstory was to me a stroke of brilliance. Kryptons reliance on this technology also went a long way into helping explain why the council was so quick to just dismiss one of the greates scientific minds on the planet. This coupled with the idea that Jor-El seems to be viewed as an outcast.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I felt they had the perfect compromise for Supergirls origins and an overall fun take on her.

Great character designs. Loved the look and feel of Metropolis. Great takes on the villans. Loved the inclusion of Kirby. Their take on Superman himself is well balanced. He kinda has the "Clark first" thing going on but unlike Byrne he doesn't dismiss his Kryptonian heritage. It's very much a part of him and there is a real sense of loss about it. So he is just as much Kal-El as he is Clark Kent.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 05:26:28 AM »

Quite frankly STAS Superman is my favorite version of Superman although The Roy Thomas All Star Earth 2 Guy is pretty close. All the TAs stuff was pretty magnificent IMO.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:27:46 AM »

This is completely beside the point, but Lucy Lawless would make a great girlfriend for Superman, what with her initials and all.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 11:23:20 PM »

I always thought it was sorta lame especially compared to Batman the Animated Series. It seems (to me) that the creators really loved batman comics but that Superman was "just a job" to them in order fullful some contract.
By this point I was already getting tired with that dini style animation, but the voice acting was great.

Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:42:27 AM »

I already stated in a previous thread that I didn't care for the reduced power levels because I saw it as them trying to find a cheap way of humanizing him. This seemed to be a theme in the post-crisis years, try and make Superman more human by reducing his strength. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that is what it looked like to me.

I did like the Brainiac idea and Supergirl's new look, but I agree that it was something they just did because I think they felt obligated to. Mercy always looked like someone they had to invent to balance out creating Harley for the Batman cartoon. Maybe it was because after the success with Batman, I came to expect too much, I don't know. STAS always just seemed like the Batman cartoon's little sister. Not a good place for Supes to be in. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L