superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Revenge Squad and Secret Identities  (Read 7621 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »

zoners can only watch and never participate

Good point.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:01:43 AM »

There's a great story where Superman becomes roomates with Jimmy Olsen and it is just what is described above --paparazzi, fans, stalkers, gawkers, people falling out of windows, villains attacking.  Other stories where Superman takes on new i.d.'s after his old one is lost (or in preparation for "losing" Clark (without a hint of trauma) are quite fun.

Many alien enemies have no idea Superman needs to keep Clark separate since it is obvious to them (of course, all aliens have some form of Kryptonian detector, mass-spec analysis, etc) that Clark is Superman.  Kobra was one villain who learned his i.d. but didn't do much about it after one try.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »

There's a great story where Superman becomes roomates with Jimmy Olsen and it is just what is described above --paparazzi, fans, stalkers, gawkers, people falling out of windows, villains attacking.  Other stories where Superman takes on new i.d.'s after his old one is lost (or in preparation for "losing" Clark (without a hint of trauma) are quite fun.

Many alien enemies have no idea Superman needs to keep Clark separate since it is obvious to them (of course, all aliens have some form of Kryptonian detector, mass-spec analysis, etc) that Clark is Superman.  Kobra was one villain who learned his i.d. but didn't do much about it after one try.

If Superman is blase about his Clark Kent identity, then what's the point? How many times (too many to count) did he go to great lengths to protect that identity? Any time someone got close to the truth, rather than twist himself into shapes to try to cover up, Kent could just disappear and Superman could create a whole new secret identity. Unless, of course, Superman really IS Clark Kent.

I prefer the reaction of Kent (to the probable loss of his secret identity) in the Superman TV show (George Reeves) when his costume is stolen, and is likely to lead criminals to his secret. He is almost in a panic and makes every effort to keep the secret identity intact. There was a hint of ruthlessness about Superman's conduct that I liked, ie. he was taking the matter VERY seriously.
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 03:12:13 AM »

Agreed, Superman is Clark Kent, a good natured, mid-Western guy.  Superman just wouldn't be the same without that identity.  It's just odd that none of his enemies seem to pick up on this.  I guess it's part of what makes a megomaniacal villain.

Regarding the PZ villains, weren't they able to manipulate some weaker minded humans when they put their collective thoughts together, or something similar?  I vaguely recall a story where they were able to get at Superman's subconcious/dreams.  Can anyone back me up on this?  If true, they could have always been proding Lois about Clark's dual identity all these years...

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws.

Whirlicane?  My new favorite word!

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »

To be fair, the adventures where he tries on a new identity always end in disaster.  It's also interesting to imagine a Superman who is really Clark using a third identity.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L