superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "blatant rip-offs of Superman in advertising" thread...  (Read 11010 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: December 08, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »

I come across them quite regularly, ads that blatantly rip-off the big guy. I almost don't notice them because it is such common practice they barely register. I wonder how often and how determinedly DC pursues firms that are using their product (ie. Superman) without permission? It would be a never-ending and worldwide battle. Do they even bother...?

Feel free to post actual examples as and when they crop up. I'd be interested to see them.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:44:38 PM »

DC's lawyers have just bookmarked this thread Wink

It happens a whole lot.

Here is a super blatant rip-off:

http://www.totalsuccess.com/images/poster-superhero__.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »

The French steakhouse chain Hippopotamus used to have a hippo in a Superman costume among their decor; I don't know for certain that they still exist. In North London, where I live, I have seen two evident infringements of copyright, one for a laundry and one for a handyman. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »

By the way, Super Monkey, is that an ad for a motivational speaker? Criminy.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:27:31 AM »

DC's lawyers have just bookmarked this thread Wink

It happens a whole lot.

Here is a super blatant rip-off:

http://www.totalsuccess.com/images/poster-superhero__.jpg

OK. That HAS to have been sanctioned by DC.  Huh?

Years ago there used to be a wholesale vegetable market in my city which had a very big sign advertising their company, and from what I remember it used this Curt Swan drawing from one of the old annuals:

It was "Super-Vege Man" or some such nonsense, and there was something in place of the "S" symbol. But it was THAT drawing they had ripped off almost exactly as it appears here. It's amazing what people get away with, but I suppose DC wouldn't even be aware of infringements Downunder, or maybe they don't care -- or it's not worth it in a financial sense to pursue the matter.

The Superstaff example I gave at the start of the thread came off a job vacancy newsletter I received this week. It's small fry material I know, but it is still using someone else's idea and property without permission.

There's another side to it, I suppose, in that Superman is so big and so famous, people just think the concept is public property. Most people in the Western world would recognise Clark Kent, but they'd be hard-pressed to name his creators or the comics company that owns him.

Which reminds me... A week or two ago, my wife was using my computer to show her Dad something, and they came across a still of George Reeves as Clark Kent, and my father-in-law, who has never read a comic and probably has never seen the old Superman show, said, "That's Clark Kent" when my wife asked him if he knew who the person was.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again... No one can underestimate how famous or how popular Superman is. The proof is all around us. He is a part of the public consciousness and popular culture like few other entities are. To me, that seems amazing.
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:11:04 AM »

I live in Fayetteville, GA and I drive through the city of Riverdale to get to the comic shop I have my box at.  Every week I drive by this brake shop that goes by the name Speedy and they actually have this gigantic Superman symbol on their sign.

It bugs me everytime I see it.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 04:40:58 AM »

Here is another one, not as blatant:

http://www.opera.com/img/o8/main.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 04:59:40 AM »

A brake/muffler shop near my home uses a Wayne Boring rendition of Superman with his costume coloring/chest insignia altered for the muffler shop's slogan/theme...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L